S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Shift linkage binding

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift linkage binding

I just removed the transmission to replace the clutch, flywheel, and turbos. I put everything back together and now i cant line up the gear gates. I first checked my Bentley to get the proper procedure, performed the procedure, and checked again.

Still wasn't lined up correct. After searching on the forums and looking through the manual again, I decided to rebuild the shifter linkage (the ball socked that connects directly to the transmission). This still did not fix or lessen the problem. While having someone move the shifter I looked at what was going on under the car when I noticed the linkage binding.

I am darn sure that I have everything hooked up correctly. My only solution is to remove the linkage again and grind the area down so that it wont bind. This is a last ditch effort to fix my problem. I am hoping someone out there has had some experience and tell me what I have done wrong, or where to look to fix this.

Please help.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem solved

While looking up the cross rod in the parts book (Since the manual said not to remove it under any circumstance), to replace the one I thought I might have damaged, I noticed two part numbers. Because of the linkage change during the middle of the model year there were two different linkage rods with two different mounting points. Had mine mounted in the wrong point. I remounted and this solved the problem. My deepest apologies for posting without proper research.

In my defense, the Bentley manual does not denote a difference in mounting points. Doing the job by the manual does not always pay off, a good memory of what you take off and where does. I hope this post stays in the archives and maybe someone that might do the same thing I did will be able to search and find the answer they need.

On a side not, the Bentley manual is wrong when it calls for the static linkage to be mounted on the right-side of the transmission rather than the top-right.

And I am still going to replace the linkage rod, since it may be a safety concern.