S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Slow Windshield Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2000, 04:45 AM
Mike

Default Slow Windshield Wipers

Has anyone tried to upgrade their wipers? If so, how? My S4's wipers are too slow for anything but light to moderate rain.
Old 02-26-2000, 05:17 AM
JMJ

Try a bottle of Rain-X it seems to help
Old 02-26-2000, 05:26 AM
mike

Good Point
Old 02-26-2000, 06:14 AM
occam

Default Please don't use RainX. It'll gum up your windshield in the long run.

I used RainX on my last car for quite a while and enjoyed it. Eventually however, I stopped using it and discovered it had gummed up my windshield something fierce. I never figured out how to remove it (it's like glue) without damaging the windshield. Basically, in coldish weather (40s), you'll find that your windshield is very hazy and difficult to see through clearly. The hazard goes away somewhat if you defog (i.e., heat from inside) the windshield, but it's a pain and very annoying.

My windshield is one reason I was so happy to get a new car! Caveat emptor with RainX.

= Joe =

P.s., if RainX sold a RainX Remover, then RainX might be good again, but not in its present unremovable state.
Old 02-26-2000, 06:24 AM
Mike

Cloudy epoxy isn't what I had in mind!
Old 02-26-2000, 06:49 AM
BOBP

been using Rain-X forever ,never had gumminess.Stuff worked great.
Old 02-26-2000, 06:50 AM
George

Default Re: Slow Windshield Wipers

What do you mean too slow?

There's probably not a lot you can do about the speed of them, but I was amazed yesterday how well they worked driving in the rain we were having in Boston (which was rather heavy at times). I hadn't driven the car in the rain before that, since I only got it on Wednesday. The wipers are definitely better than the Infinti I traded in!

I've had very good luck with RainX, contrary to the other post about it. The only time I got any sort of film on the window, it was on the inside from normal wear and tear, and windex got rid of it nicely. I don't know if the other guy tried that or not, but I never noticed anything at all from the use of RainX.
Old 02-26-2000, 06:51 AM
George

Default Re: Please don't use RainX. It'll gum up your windshield in the long run.

I've used RainX on three different cars for probably ten years and have never had the slightest problem with it. The only car I ever had any clouding on the glass with was in an old '87 Celica Convertible, and the clouding was on the inside, not the outside, and windex got rid of it no problem.
Old 02-26-2000, 08:46 AM
George, Scrub your windshield with "Bon-Ami"

Default Re: Please don't use RainX. It'll gum up your windshield in the long run.

don't use anything but Bon-Ami. When it's all clean & dry, then put the rain-X on and polish it out. Think you'll find a vast improvement.
Old 02-26-2000, 03:42 PM
Peter S.

Wax your windshield instead, way better than RainX

Quick Reply: Slow Windshield Wipers