S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Snell Helmets M2000 vs SA2000 Snell certifications

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2001, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snell Helmets M2000 vs SA2000 Snell certifications

I have a technical question relating to the helmets and Snell certifications.

I'm starting autoX events and obviously I need a helmet at these events...and I heard that motorcycle helmets (M95) are allowed now, but they are going to be phased out next year (including M2000).

I have a motorcycle too and I'm due for a new helmet...It doesn't make sense to buy two helmets for these two hobbies, since I'd use a full-face for both. Originally I was going to buy a M2000 Snell certified helmet, but since I heard that they won't be allowed next year, I was wondering if there is ANY reason why I shouldn't use a SA2000 helmet for motorcycle riding.

Any suggestions for inexpesive SA2000 helmets?

Thanks
smokin_s4
Old 06-03-2001, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default yes...

there are two differences. The M (motorsports) helmets have nomex lining and are fire proof but MORE importantly, they are tested differently including multiple impacts.

I used to ride with a M helmet but it wasnt the smartest thing because the eye opening severely restricted peripheral vision...in a race car you have tunnel vision so only need a slit to look through and that's what my helmets had. Motorcycle helmets have bigger eye openings and are tested to a different standard.

Two words that should NEVER be used in the same sentence IMHO are "cheap" and "helmet".

Take everything you've ever known and everyone you have ever known and ask yourself if that's worth a couple-hundred extra bucks for the very best helmet your delicate skull can afford :-)

I don't even use open-faced helmets in sedans for that reason.
Old 06-03-2001, 09:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: yes...

First, thanks for the info, but I'm a little confused...you said that the M are motorsports helmets....so they are not for motorcycles?
I thought that M2000 was for motorcycles. And SA2000 are for auto-type things...which shouldn't be used for motorcycles "because the
eye opening severely restricted peripheral vision"

So, in short, I need two helmets.

I completely agree with you about the "cheap" helmet reference...that's why I where a full face helmet on my bike. BUT, just because I can get a HJC Snell M2000 for 1/3 the price of a Shoei...does that really make Shoei a better helmet....isn't that the point of the Snell Certifications?

And the same applies to SA2000 helmets.
Thanks
smokin_s4
Old 06-03-2001, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default DOOH...you're right...

My mistake...M is motorcycle and SA is cars...I always get that mixed up.

Price doesn't necessarily imply quality but for SA helmets, I always go with the guys who have been doing motorsports helmets since they began...I use Simpson but have also used Bell...for no better reason than that I'm prejudice against Shoei and Arai who were motorcycle only for years THEN got into SA helmets but that's personal opinion and not based on data or fact.

The rating does imply satisfactory quality and the comfort becomes VERY important and some people find one brand more comfortable than another. Definitely try on helmets because the size from one manufacturer will not necessarily fit like another one.

I prefer helmets that come in 1/8ths hat sizes because you can get one that's PERFECT. This becomes important after a few hours in a car (or on a bike).
Old 06-04-2001, 03:36 AM

Default Arai...

when doing research on the helmets, the differences between M and SA, as previously mentioned, 1. M does not have the fire retardant 2. M is not tested for roll bar impact 3. M has wider view.. for driving schools, if 1 or 2 is ever needed in the helmet, this student should never be there.. i also ride bikes, and prefer the wider view.. the Arai helmets come in 2 models, the standard fit, and long oval. the long oval usually fits 'amercans' better.