S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

snow tire survey: what size tires/wheels? rationale? (m)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2000, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default snow tire survey: what size tires/wheels? rationale? (m)

i was planning on getting 225/50/16s blizzak LM-22s on 16" ATP S5s but i'm wondering if they're necessary with the power of quattro. ;^) it was my understanding that thinner tires provide better traction. should i go with 205s? searching for answers....
Old 10-20-2000, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I went with 225/45/17s dunlop m2s...(more)

b/c most of my winter driving will be on dry/wet pavement; i'll only hit ice/snow when i go to the mountains (and i didn't want to compromise my everyday performance).

that size will work out great, but if you're in a similar situation as myself, it seems like it may be a bit overkill (but the smaller rim and higher sidewall will be better if you're constantly in snow b/c it'll give you more clearance and save the stock rims from getting thrashed. just my thoughts on it.
Old 10-20-2000, 09:35 AM
CBJ

Re: 205/55/16 OZ Wheels and Blizzak MZ-01 from Tire Rack per their rec.
Old 10-20-2000, 09:49 AM

Default 205/55/16 hakka q

Wanted to try the tires out and see if they live up to the hype, figured I could sell them if the dry handling was bad and get a 225/50 "performance" snow.

I used these tires a few weeks ago for a 1000 miles while I waited for a backordered AVS Sport to come in.

I haven't used them on snow yet, but on wet sand and clay they do a excellent job, very progressive loss of traction at the limits, which are quite high for the surfaces I was on. The grip and traction even in first gear is quite impressive, it just rips through whatever slop it can get a grip on.
However in the rain, on pavement, ABS kicks on much too easily, and it's easy to spin all four from a roll in first gear, I think this is because the sipes are so soft only the sharp edge is touching the pavement in the rain under load. To be totally honest, I'm rather cold to these tires wet weather performance, but the limits are still beyond legal and sane limits on the road, and cornering power in the rain is quite good.

In dry weather the handling is quite acceptable, cornering is good, and the tire really only gets squirmy when the temperature gets over 60-70F. The back end of the car does have sort of a delayed reaction to the front when doing a emergency lane switch, nothing dangerous, just disconcerting if you weren't expecting it.

I like them so far, and if they are truly exceptional in the snow like they were in the sand, I'm keeping them till they're down to the wear bars, which will hopefully be a while, long life was another selling point.

For summer I use 235/40/17 AVS Sports, so my perceptions of wet and dry performance are a bit higher than they used to be.
Old 10-20-2000, 09:52 AM

225/45/17 Alpins on stock rims, crossing my fingers that they actually come in time for snow
Old 10-20-2000, 09:58 AM

205/55/16 Haka 1 on ATP
Old 10-20-2000, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Put 225/45/17 Michelin Pilot Alpins on stock wheels

I went with the stock size and Pilot Alpins to keep the performance and handling aspects of the car as much as possible. Most of the roads here in SLC get plowed fairly quickly so they are mostly wet/slushy or dry. I had no problems going on unplowed roads last winter and I could still take a spirited drive on the sunny days with out fear of chunking my tires or exceeding their handling limits. The Pilot Alpins are not rated as the best snow/ice tire but they are very capable and when teamed with quattro, they are fantastic. I took them to the ski resorts many times and they performed flawlessly in the snow. They are probably one of the best snow tires for dry performance.

If you are driving on snow packed roads constantly or frequently encounter icy conditions, you might want to consider another tire like the Blizzaks or the Nokians. I have a feeling that I would destroy a set of Blizzaks with my driving style and the conditions here. They are too soft for me.

I don't think there is a "best" snowtire out there. There are a lot of great options. It all really comes down to your driving conditions and your driving style and needs to determine what you should get.
Old 10-20-2000, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

215/45/17 Michelin Pilot Alpins on stock wheels
Old 10-20-2000, 10:13 AM

Default How would you decribe the diff in dry handling vs. the RE40?

I'm stuck in the all season vs. snow tire debate.

I plan to use stock wheels and perhaps get new summer wheels in spring...or just swap tires back.
Old 10-20-2000, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Factory choice is 205/55-16

That's the size of the winter tire option available on the S4 in Europe. For best snow performance, narrow and high profile is always best. The dimensions of the S4 (weight, brakes, etc) mean that the 205/55-16 is about as far as you can go.

FWIW, pro rally drivers use snow tires as narrow as 135 mm.

The "power of quattro" is worthless without traction. More power, of course, can make it easier to spin out, lose traction, etc. Quattro helps acceleration in slippery conditions, but it does little to help cornering, and nothing at all to help braking. You haven't said what kind of winter conditions you expect, and there are lots of compromises possible.

If "no compromise" maximum winter performance is your goal, you want to go 205/55-16. Blizzaks are best known for their ice performance -- if you do expect icy conditions, I would definitely want to go with the 205's.

Quick Reply: snow tire survey: what size tires/wheels? rationale? (m)