S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

So.. am I the only one here that has a heart attach when the V1 explodes FULL LASER??

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Agreed. But it's all speculation vs scientifc fact

The chances of someone reducing any speed before an officer gets a recording is next to nothing.

The fact that is takes a laser gun approx. 1/2 second from trigger pull to display is not even a fare figure. The reading is reflected immediatley and returned to the laser gun in far less time. part of the return time is in that 1/2 second, and part of the 1/2 second is the calulation time the processor takes to figure out your speed.

If all parts were equal, at roughly .163 of a second per item, your speed has already been determined in .163, the refelceted deviation is on it's way back to the processor in the next .163 of a second, and is calculated in the next .163. Realistically, the calculation takes up far more time than the laser emittion and reception.

Now, considering it probably takes a laser detector at least .163 to emit a warning, let alone how long it takes to get a driver to get his foot on the brake and the car to start decelerating, I think, as Car and Driver concluded, that it's pretty impossible to slow down after being warned you have been zapped by laser.

A laser detector has three purposes. 1) To tell you you that the cop missed his target and you picked up stray laser emittions. 2) To tell you that he just shot you but did not get an adequete reflection. 3) To tell you that you just got a ticket.

Did you have a laser detector in your car when you were ticketed yesterday? Did it even go off? The laser beam is so narrow, that often if they hit your car low (lights or plate), you won't even get notice you were just zapped.

Mike S
Old 09-05-2002, 10:09 AM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nope, no laser detection or countermeasures systems for me...

...heh, but if it wouldn't have been 9:15 in the morning, with traffic to eventually contend with, and me doing 120mph and the cop sitting still, had I known that I had just gotten zapped, I might have said good luck catching me. Police patrol bikes are not aerodynamic at all IIRC. What do they top out at, about 140-150?
Old 09-05-2002, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If that, most of the harley's won't run past 120mph. But, you have to outrun his radio

which is much more difficult.

I am friends with a few cops who always have said, once runnin way in excess and you pass a cop (an d it's too late), keep the speed. It's not fleeing until he hit's his lights, and if you are way far ahead, you can always claim you didn't see them/him.

In this case, the worst that is going to happen to you is the same ticket you earned in the first place.

Take care,

Mike S
Old 09-05-2002, 10:29 AM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heh, BTDT...

...I didn't exactly pass the cop, but it was a cruiser on an entrance ramp that got on behind me. I had put a few hundred yards on him (I was already doing 120) by the time he lit up his lights. He just turned them off about 3 or 4 seconds later (as he probably realized I just put another 100 yards on him in those 3-4 seconds). The trick is to get out of sight and then quickly make a disappearance. By the time cops are responding to the radio alert, you've already lost the pursuing cop. If you don't think (KNOW) you can do that, better not try!
Old 09-05-2002, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default According to How Stuff Works, it's more like 1/3 of a second anyway. Too fast.

You'd be lucky to get your foot on the brake, much less slow the car down.

Still worth doing 'cause hopefully it's for the car ahead of you anyway. :-)