S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

So charge pressure control pos. deviation doesn't necessarily mean a boost leak? After STFA I found

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So charge pressure control pos. deviation doesn't necessarily mean a boost leak? After STFA I found

that it can mean overboosting is occuring, which doesn't have to be caused by a boost leak. I only ask becuase I run an MBC @ 15psi with no N75 valve and a TCD. I went to the drag strip and turned the boost up to 17psi--now I have this pos. deviation code so I'm wondering if it's related. I've had 710n's and a samco tbb/f-hose for about a year now so I'd be surprised if those tore. I'm just really worried because if this is actually a boost leak, I want to get my car in ASAP and I'm busy out at school. Some things to note:
- boost doesn't spike, it builds to 15psi and stays.
- even though I have no N75, doesn't the TCD fool the ecu into thinking its running less boost (i.e. why would the ecu think it's overbosting even at 17psi).
- have never had this code running 15psi. Ran 17psi for 2 drag runs and then back to 15psi--now I have a pos. deviation code.

Sorry for the long post but I'm just trying to gauge whether this sounds like a boost leak and I should worry or it sounds like overboosting because I turned up the boost a little and have no N75 (then I guess I could just clear the code and hope it doesn't come back). It's really hard for me to get to a mechanic out here (I think KTR is the closest @ an hour away). I'd really appreciate any advice from you guys!!
Old 09-12-2006, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default you could be ramping up boost at a quicker rate than x-chip wants to see.....

so before the tcd "kicks in" you're getting deviation from requested boost. If there is anyway to get a log of boost (115) you could see if that is the case.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default All the code means is that the "actual" boost is higher than what the ECU "requests"

This can be caused by a number of things. In your case, it's probably part throttle driving with your MBC. The MBC acts like an on/off switch. It "requests" max boost at all times. They only time you don't reach max boost is when there isn't sufficient exhaust gas energy to provide that boost.

Your X chip on the other hand, may request lower amounts of boost at part throttle. Your MBC will deliver more than the chip requests...and you end up with a deviation code.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have been having the same issue. Car goes into limp mode after just curising on the highway.

Same basic vairables.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Expert

no, thats a neg deviation code (i think)
Old 09-12-2006, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default (+) deviation is more boost than expected. (-) deviation is less boost than expected

The deviation is how the actual boost relates to the requested boost.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:20 AM

Default "It "requests" max boost at all times." More like at 80%+ throttle position.

Is it possible that he doesn't have a TCD and boost tapered a touch on 15 PSI setting enough to not trigger code/TC...and now with higher boost he is throwing a code for boost deviation and unaware of TC occurring?

Just a thought.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:21 AM

Default 2nd,3rd,4th...at least this is what I've witnessed on X chip.

For example, I got negative deviation when running XR with TCD...down low requested boost is so much higher than clamped MAP voltage that it freaks out.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Expert

im just saying i think you've got it backwards.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Would 1.2bar TCD solve the problem if you were to run XR?

Quick Reply: So charge pressure control pos. deviation doesn't necessarily mean a boost leak? After STFA I found