S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

So I've been researching chips... GIAC X vs. APR

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whoah, so that's what that is...I've driven myself nuts over that

Had that happen many times, only partially boosting and then going into limp mode...Everyone I had talked to always thought it was hardware failure not software...Bah, can't even count all the stuff I replaced cuz of that...grrrr
Old 12-11-2005, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Don't have much experience tweaking AMS. Note that on Stg2 the need for a TCD/MBC is bad imo.

Software should be written to use the stock sensors correctly. Older GIAC had some issues with big spikes(corrected now I think/guess) that required the MBC on a K03 car as you wouldn't want K03s running spikes to 1.5B. A good many K04 cars will run K03 code and that is where you will see the use of MAP clamps/TCDs to fake the ECU into running diff boost and MBC's to cap the boost to the level you are tuning at.

On Stg2 cars any of them will run fine(AMS/APR/GIAC/MTM). When you go Stg3 you can get the respective tuners K04 software or use any of the Stg2 software offerings(sometimes with MAP clamps and/or MBCs) to take advantage of the larger turbos.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Depends on what you are looking for

I'm talking about software for stock turbos. APR seemed to really step it up with their new stage 3 software.

APR = very smooth, very predictable, decently quick. The old version was more torque down low, their new stuff pull better up top and is smoother. * I liked the old stuff

GIAC = smooth, definately felt faster than APR. Surprising torque, and pulls good and hard through the revs. In my opinion, not as smooth as APR.

If you are like me, you want to get the full potential out of your setup. GIAC allows this, and seems to be more welcoming to tweaking/tuning. For example, if you wish to run a manual boost controller. If you don't care as much about the power, and want a quick car that runs damn near as smooth as stock, go APR.

You'll be happy with either. I'm running GIAC now, and ran APR in the past. Also, people might tell you GIAC is less turbo friendly. I blew my stock turbos with APR software, so beware. Not trying to scare you.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Agreed.. the new APR code makes home brew tweaking much less attractive

The old 93 code was veerry slow. I planned to get the tcd and electronic boost controller (avc-r) working, so I could control boost. Then I planned to install water injection and raise the boost to take advantage of it.

The tcd (voltage clamp diode) allows the ecu to see up to around 15 psi, then it flat lines, while actual boost is raised much higher by the boost controller. That will prevent the ecu from seeing a WOT max boost deviation and going to limp mode.

THe part throttle issue happens when the ecu only asks for ~5psi but the boost controller spikes up to 10psi+ for a split second. Remember, the ecu can see anything below 15psi , so it knows something fishy is going on

You can look at it two ways. You could assume APR knows the ecu software much better, because they have the ability to program part throttle code. Then again, GIAC probably knows how, but chooses not to be a pain in our butts, because only max boost deviations are dangerous for the engine.

I think Hal will agree, the new APR runs VERY good for the hardware. The only way I'd want to home brew is if I upgrade the turbos w/RS6 wheels.. In that case I'll need a giac A box

I love the anti-theft and software switching features of APR.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Lol, yep I am captain of using the stock sensors. Don't care for work-arounds/patches on an engine

management system that has 2 32bit cpus dedicated to calculating precise spark/fuel/timing combinations on the 2.7tt. Kind of like ripping a nice fuel injection off a 5.0l Mustang and plopping a big ol' Holley on there.