S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

so the last couple days i've experienced a "floating" feeling while on the highway...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so the last couple days i've experienced a "floating" feeling while on the highway...

thats about the only way i can describe what i'm feeling. it happens while on the highway and driving over uneven portions of the road, be it bumps or pot holes or what have you.

it feels as if i'm driving the gf geo.

i have bilsten struts and h&r springs(pretty sure thats what in there, PO installed).

i'm not sure if just the rear suspension is shot, not sure how many miles, i don't think to many. or if it may be something to do with the rear sway.

looking for your guys opinions, thoughts, and stuff to check. i'd really like to get this sorted out. i'm not used to this on the highway and thought something was majorly wrong with the car.

other things i thought of were if the lugs were loose, but there is none of the symptoms associated with that. possibly some other loose suspensions where the drive shaft is slipping out or something like that. i know the shafts are that slip in style, but maybe something related to that part of the car.

it also seems to be happening stronger or more frequently with the passenger side. which during the fall i hit a large pot hole and bent the front passenger side and busted the tire pretty good. nothing seemed wrong at the time with the passenger side rear.

TIA

Tim

ps if i think of anything more or if there is anything else you need to know about the car let me know.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: so the last couple days i've experienced a "floating" feeling while on the highway...

My guess would be the suspension... could be a pita to test though. Try checking your struts for leaks where the upper and lower half meet. Should see some oily residue.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Sounds like tramlining.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:44 AM

Default Could be allignment as well, but I'd bet its from your fall pot hole occurrence (shot strut)...

Really screwed up allignment can give you a floating feeling. Might be obvious, but have you checked your tire pressure?
Old 01-29-2008, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default haven't checked psi in about a week. all tires were 42-45 psi...

the alignment was just about dead on before the pot hole deal in fall. after replacing the wheel and tire it wasn't messed were i noticed it. it still tracked straight and only pulled to the left a very slight amount.

i'll be filling up with gas in the morning and will recheck psi but i don't think they will be too off. a pound or at most i would think. i'll try to do a visual check of the strut body itself tonight after dinner. i haven't noticed anything out of the corner passing by. but who knows.

we'll see when i check.

i've been meaning to get an alignment since fall to see how bad the pothole messed it up, just haven't had dollars or minutes to get it done.

also i was looking to upgrade to some type of coilovers come spring/summer. so maybe this will be my chance.

thanks guys.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default bilsteins are known for blowing, ive replaced both my fronts..check them, also

control arms can cause some bounciness. Take a peak at your bilsteins, if they are covered in oil then they are bad.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default i checked out the rear passenger one... no oily type liquid....

not to say they didn't blow when i hit the pot hole and has sense been "cleaned" off with drive thru car washes, winter and road grime.

would there be any noises like a clunk or rattle associated with control arms?