S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

So my car has been making some weird noises and need some help!!! (inside)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So my car has been making some weird noises and need some help!!! (inside)

Took it to my indy shop and the owner drove it around for 3 days before he finally got it to make the noise. He said he is speculating it is the spider gears inside my rear differential. Does anyone know what kind of noises the spider gears will make when going bad?? I only ask b/c my noise is so goddamn hard to explain. It starts off w/ a loud whirling sound and then progress's to what sounds like a wheel bearing going, usually only does it in 3rd and 4th, when lift foot off the gas, also doesn't stop when clutch is depressed so don't think its the drive shaft or anything related to the tranny?? Ideas and help??!!!??

TIA
Old 04-02-2008, 09:00 AM

Default Where in MI are you located? I'm in Bloomfield/Rochester area. What Indy shop are you using?

you might want to see if VAST in Ferndale can help you. The owner is a friend of mine who has been servicing my car for about 6 years... All maintenance, all performance upgrades, etc.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Don't quite understand your logic...

"usually only does it in 3rd and 4th" suggests a trans. problem, doesn't it?
"also doesn't stop when clutch is depressed so don't think its the drive shaft or anything related to the tranny" -- Why not? Everything aft of the clutch is all hard-connected, so it could still be any part of the drivetrain.
Hope this helps.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The driveshaft turns even with clutch in, so it could be that. Get under there and crank on stuff.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Jack up the whole car and have someone spin the wheels while you lie underneath
Old 04-02-2008, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I'm over in Grand Rapids, west side of state. I have been meaning to go see Mike or Prince

as I plan on using them for doing my TB and going stage 3, but I can't justify cruising two hours down there sounding like a typical paranoid audi owner saying i have this weird noise coming from my car. Also, the noise seems to stop once the car warms up and runs on the freeway, so they'd have to keep it over night so it gets cold and its my DD.

Right now, I am using Eurotech in Holland. Matt the owner is great and he immediately identified another weird sound I was having when we went for a little ride. Ever heard of them?
Old 04-02-2008, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Sorry, didn't know that about the driveshaft. Today, it also did it in 2nd, and I don't think it is

the driveshaft as I just replaced it w/ a brand new rebuilt drive shaft.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

your kidding i hope......
Old 04-02-2008, 08:21 PM

Default Could very well be a rear diff issue. If you jack up the car, use backup, and even back-backup...

stands holding the car up while you're underneath listening for the noise.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Why would I be kidding? Did you think I meant with the car on?

Quick Reply: So my car has been making some weird noises and need some help!!! (inside)