S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

So in regards to removing the MAF screen, has anyone tested on the S4 with a VAG and have data?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you/they work for Bosch? Did you/they design it?

Do you really think they would put a screen in there to induce turbulence, causing a poor idle, bad readings, and messing up emissions?

Plus, if it was possible to remove it and not cause problems, then they would have done that, and saved a few bucks in the process.

Think man, think!

As for the resistance issue, go measure the inlet area of the turbo, then compare it to the inlet area of the MAF, and you'll see where the real restriction lies.
Old 04-30-2002, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes and I also saw this is NOT the S4 2.7T engine. Apples to oranges.

It's the same reason why K&Ns gain power on most cars, but do nothing on this car. Different car = different results.
Old 04-30-2002, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

reliability and performance disagree sometimes
Old 04-30-2002, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default what a load of...

good information you provided there

I'm guilty of no screens too because I did my own testing using MAF voltage. It's all about efficiency.
Old 04-30-2002, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default They are different cars with DIFFERENT engines and DIFFERENT intake tracts / airboxes.

Saying that changing one component of the system on one engine and intake configuration, will have the same impact as changing that component on another engine and intake configuration, is invalid. Besides, the MAF pictured is NOT the same as the Hitachi unit on my 2001.
Old 04-30-2002, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have the book and know how they work Eric. We're not debating their function, but rather flow

restriction, which is related to the physical design the MAF and is also dependent on the entire intake tract. All I know is my airbox, intake tract, and MAF on my 2001 are not physically the same as those pictured for the car the testing was done on. I tested it back to back with and without screen and saw no change in MAF measurement. You make an invalid argument that it might not be 'reflected' in the MAF measurment, because there is really just less 'loss' in the mass air due to cooler intake temps post turbo. If you don't understand the concept of 'mass in = mass out' , maybe you should read up in a physics book about the 'conservation of mass' principle.
Old 04-30-2002, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default sorry to butt in but simple physics tells me to use the ideal gas law PV=nRT (as everyone knows)

you have m, so you derive n. Then you can see what effect Temp has on volume or pressure (depending what the turbo will try to keep constant)

So, no argument about mass in = mass out, but mass without temp means nothing to the ECU <ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/788217.phtml">it's all about efficiency </a></li></ul>
Old 04-30-2002, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm not claiming the screen doesn't add *any* flow restriction.

I'm just saying what it adds is not anything significant or perceptible, based on testing with my car (which I've explained above is not the same physical configuration as the car used in this testing.) It's just like high flow air filters... we replace the stock filter with something that flows better, yet we see no improvement, because what was already in place was adequate for the given application. Yet in a different application changing air filters (or removing the screen) may show a perceptible improvment.
Old 04-30-2002, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well yeah I agree :) Decrease Temp via lower pressure ratios, and mass goes up (P and V constant)

This causes more mass of air to enter the engine, but all of that increased mass had to pass through the MAF (since that's the only place it is introduced in the system).
Old 04-30-2002, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Again, if it made the system more efficient, at the same level of boost you would see increased MAF

flow, and I saw none. I've never disputed any of the accepted theories of flow restriction, pressure ratio, and turbo efficiency, I'm just saying in my testing these things were not affected by removing the MAF screen to any perceptible degree.

Quick Reply: So in regards to removing the MAF screen, has anyone tested on the S4 with a VAG and have data?