S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

So whats your best SUCCESSFUL excuse given to a cop?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2000, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So whats your best SUCCESSFUL excuse given to a cop?

<p>Peter Y. Lee
Philadelphia, PA
96 M3 Lux (an S4 aficianado)
Remus exhaust, Brembo OE
slotteds, stainless steel lines,
JimC software & intake, H&R
w/ Bilstein, Hamann HM2 18"s,
S-02's, ERT underdrive pulley,
Ron Stygar SS, Racing Dynamics
su
Old 05-04-2000, 08:27 AM

Default This one ALWAYS works, at least here in PA.

"I know I was speeding, officer. But before you decide to write me the ticket, please know that I will be graduating from law school this year, and have already decided to take a job at the DA's office. I'll be working hand in hand with you guys and support your cause. I'd appreciate it if you could help me out here, just like I will be doing for you guys once I start working at the DA's office."

Reply:

"Have a nice day sir."<p>Peter Y. Lee
Philadelphia, PA
Remus exhaust, Brembo OE
su
Old 05-04-2000, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

i always ask if they want to arm wrestle for it. they usually laugh and let me know.
Old 05-04-2000, 08:32 AM
zapco98

Default Re: So whats your best SUCCESSFUL excuse given to a cop?

Actually, this doesn't have anything to do with an S4, but I had a lucky experience on the I90 in NY... I was doing a meager 85-90ish in a 65 and a NYS Trooper had nailed me with a Laser..., I had a couple of seconds to think about what to do because he was in the median and would have to get upto speed, but up the road about 3/4 of a mile or so there was a rest stop, I didn't slow down at all when I acknowledged the cop was behind me, he hadn't turned his lights on yet, but I knew he was after me because of the radar detector.. so I ended up turning off and he followed me. Luckily I had a smart girlfriend to get up and run out of the car in front of the cop. He approached the car and had asked what was wrong with her... I told him that she was just having her period and needed to get to a rest stop immediately, so I ended up speeding a little bit because there would have been a messy accident... needless to say I walked(drove) away with just a warning
Old 05-04-2000, 08:38 AM

Default We all need g/f's like yours!

<p>Peter Y. Lee
Philadelphia, PA
Remus exhaust, Brembo OE
su
Old 05-04-2000, 08:42 AM

Default This worked, but you have a limited time window..

I had my S4 for about three days when I was stopped on Rt.3 in NH on my way to work in MA. (Didn't have my V1 yet) I was doing somewhere in the mid 80s , about to shift into sixth when I realized that I had just become part of a nutritious breakfast (TOAST!).

She, the Trooper, was absolutely ALL BUSINESS. Zero opportunity to be charming here. Fortunately I still had my temporary registration. So, I handed it over with my license and was asked "...and the reason for your speed, sir?". I sheepishly responded "...um, I just got the car and I guess I'm not used to it yet.". She turned and walked away. This did not bode well.

She comes back and gives me the "rush hour, keeping up with traffic" lecture. So I, and the Cherokee I was dancing with (yeah, that's right - you heard me) were on our way. Just a verbal warning.

Not a really exciting story, but I always have a great time telling it.
Old 05-04-2000, 08:56 AM

Default How about this one (more)...

Actually all they had to do was look at my name. Fortunately my Dad, Step Mom, and even two uncles are all Seargents/Lieutenants in the Utah Highway Patrol, so I would usually get out of a ticket pretty easy. The officer would usually call one of my relatives and ask if they should give me a ticket. The officer was always told "Do what you think you need to do", but it never resulted in a ticket. Now that I live in Virginia, I don't have that protection and I got my first ticket the second day I bought my '97 A4!
Old 05-04-2000, 08:57 AM

Default Incredibly enough, I got off from this one ...

When I was 17 I had an outrageous '70 Camaro with a very strong (600+ HP) 454. I pulled out of a popular cruising spot, and being the punk kid that I obviously was, left 3 gears of fresh hot rubber ... right in front of a cop that I had been too busy speeding to see. He pulled me over like "I really can't believe you just did that in front of me". My mouth was going much faster than my brain at that point, I came out with "I'm sorry sir, but I just got this car, and I'm not use to all the power and using the clutch".
Yes, he let me go.
Disclaimer ... I would not recommend anyone else try this!

Mark
'00 TAP2 S4
Modified scorpion exhaust
more to come

Formerly
1970 1/2 Z28
468 CI 800+hp with nitrous
275/40-17's (all 4)
4 wheel disc brakes
Bilstien shocks, 800 lbs/in springs cut 1"
dual 3" into open supertrapps
hayes race clutch
etc, etc, etc
Old 05-04-2000, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You were very lucky- I wouldn't recommend this technique

The cop might also have assumed that she was running to the ladies room to flush drugs down the toilet, and you might have spent the next half hour watching your S4 get thoroughly searched.
Old 05-04-2000, 09:02 AM
zapco98

Default Re: You were very lucky- I wouldn't recommend this technique

Oh absolutely, it was circumstances that I am sure that would be almost 100% impossible to replicate with success. I wouldn't recommend anyone trying this technique Just thought I would share it

Quick Reply: So whats your best SUCCESSFUL excuse given to a cop?