S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

So whats your best SUCCESSFUL excuse given to a cop?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2000, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My biggest coup was this...

"Driver's license & registration please...
Why aren't your license and registration in the same state?"

"I'm in the Air Force, sir."

"Can I see your military ID?...
Where are you stationed?"

"The Pentagon, sir, in Virginia."

"Do you know how fast you were going?"

"Uh, no, sir, I don't. I'd guess right around 65."

"75. Do you know what the speed limit is here?"

"Uh, well sir, I saw a sign a while back that said 65, so that's what I thought it was"

"Well, you're in a construction zone. It's 35 now."

"Yikes! Wow - I'm really sorry sir, I had no idea."

(hems & haws for a few seconds) "Well, try to pay more attention. Have a nice day."

My girlfriend at the time was half-way furious with me at this point b/c this was the third ticket she'd seen me get out of just by being in the military - no excuses, no pleading, just being cooperative, having short hair, a license & reg that didn't match, and a mil ID to back it up.

No 75 in a 35 might sound outrageous, so let me justify: This was a 10 lane divided intersate (287 in NJ) with almost no traffic, whic is normally 65. It was only 35 for the construction, and there was no construction anywhere near me - no cones, no orange signs, nothing. So it's pretty reasonable that I thought it was the standard speed limit. But boy he could have screwed me if he wanted to!
Old 05-04-2000, 04:25 PM

Default I have to go to the bathroom really badly.(more)

In 1978 I was driving through Santa Barbara on my way to L.A. (from the Bay Area), going much faster than traffic and very obvious because of my frequent lane changes. I saw the cop get on the freeway and I immediately got in the right lane and exited.

He stopped me on the street and asked the usual questions about how fast I thought I was going, etc. Then he asked "Do you know where you're going?" I looked up and saw a gas station straight ahead and said "That gas station. I have to go to the bathroom really, really badly."

He told me to take it easier next time and then said he didn't want me to have an accident and let me go!
Old 05-04-2000, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default leepym3, move to my town. It's very safe for the residents.

What happens when I get pulled over? A nice smile and "Drive safely! You've got eight points already" warning.

Yes, it's the only place you can go 145mph on the highway and say, "Doh! Cop! I'll pull over just so we can talk."

Got pulled over after coming back late from a Yankees World Series game. Something like 80 in a 55. Told him I was tired from the eventful night and wanted to just go home. "Goodnight" he said. It's that simple.

Just don't try this as an outsider. They look for outsiders and it doesn't matter what kind of car you drive or how clean or nice you look or if your significant other is in trouble. They know just about all the resident's cars. and know who belongs and doesn't belong.

They are the best cops in the world! Some have family connections, I have residential privs. And the roads are awesome!!!!
Old 05-04-2000, 05:33 PM

Officer, the headlights ARE stock... (to a cop in Utah who never saw HID's before!)
Old 05-04-2000, 05:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default NY cops are much tougher...

I tried the same line; he told me to go **** in the woods.
Old 05-04-2000, 06:27 PM

Default "Officer, I was in a hurry to get to a gas station to get coffee otherwise I might fall asleep"

My excuse for getting a 45-over ticket marked down to 10-over. I had to pay a (smaller) fine, but he made it so the ticket didn't count against my record.<p>-Chicago Joe (2000 Laser Red S4M)
Old 05-04-2000, 07:42 PM

Default Yup. I have a law school student ID to prove it!

<p>Peter Y. Lee
Philadelphia, PA
96 M3 Lux (an S4 aficianado)
Remus exhaust, Brembo OE
slotteds, stainless steel lines,
JimC software & intake, H&R
w/ Bilstein, Hamann HM2 18"s,
S-02's, ERT underdrive pulley,
Ron Stygar SS, Racing Dynamics
su
Old 05-05-2000, 03:17 AM

Default Re: You were very lucky- I wouldn't recommend this technique

Where on the thruway was this? 8-)

Peace... Sridhar
Old 05-05-2000, 04:57 AM

Default Want an edge... donate money....

... to your state troopers sponsored charitable organization. When you recieve your donation sticker, place it on your windsheild, driver side area. Then, when you do get pulled over it is in full view of the officer. He or she may think twice before issuing you a ticket.

Dexter
Westborough, Ma.
S4 wanabe but needs
convincing.
Old 05-05-2000, 06:43 AM

Default This is actually the best method (more)

In New Orleans (a poorly funded PD), they had a fundraising drive to buy officers kevlar vests. If you donated enough to buy a full vest $350, they gave you a "I bought a cop a vest" sticker. Had one in my back windshield and on my front. Twice I had cops approach the car from the rear, see the sticker, walk back to the cruiser, and drive away; without saying a word to me. Consider it a license to do whatever you want....