S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Some new pics of completed GenX GT manifolds:

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looks like some nice pieces you got there

seems like a good price for what is included in the kit fo sho. Will be interested in some logs once you get it all sorted
Old 05-15-2008, 11:31 AM
spa

sexy as hell!
Old 05-15-2008, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

you plan on tracking the car at all?
Old 05-15-2008, 11:44 AM

Default Put some heat cycles on those bad boys and get back to me. :) I'm also interested...

...in your thoughts as to why tubular manifolds used in K04 applications don't really seem to allow for anything useful beyond the stock pieces. IMHO, the stock ones are designed pretty well to begin with.

As for spool... well... we'll have to wait and see, but speaking from experience, I don't think spool time is going to prove to be a limiting factor for either of the TiAL GT offerings at this point because the turbos are appropriately spec'd to the car, and parts chosen, (and in some cases purpose built), accordingly.

Perhaps I'll be surprised, but I don't *think* you'll see more power from these others at similar boost levels, nor will the power band be as broad.

...then again, I'm no engineer. It's all theory at this point. In order to know for sure, we'll have to wait for a few more solid cars in the works with each of the respective kits. I am battling my transmission woes at the moment, but tuning will resume in earnest once that problem has been resolved.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's true because of the built-in heat shield...but that also means the risk of

cracking inner runners from heat. I'm not saying this is very common, but I've personally seen a handful of S4 manifolds that cracked on the inside from heat (you can't see it, but just shake it and you hear it jiggling around)...

I even have a set of RS6 manifolds (same construction type) which came from a chipped RS6 avant that cracked a runner which resulted in FOD on the turbine wheel during an autobahn pull.

Like I said, I'm trying not to generalize all Audi manifolds - but there are examples of failure in cases of extreme heat.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Agree that time will tell, and I hope you get your tranny fixed soon so we can see how they do!

I think the reason tubular headers don't do much on K04's is because they are small turbos with very small turbine housings and wheel. IIRC, K04's are only 23-24lb/min turbos.

Garretts are 35-36lb/min turbos (really depends on what you go with...but I think TiAL's ball bearings are 36). We're talking turbos that flow nearly 35% more (check my math, I suck at it) than K04's with larger turbine A/R's and wheels. Just like any other turbo car out there, tubular headers will always help with spool and power on larger turbos.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: That's true because of the built-in heat shield...but that also means the risk of

I have 2 sets of cracked stock manis here.. Theres almost 300% more material with these manifolds verse the stockers primarily do to the thickness. These will contain heat much better then the stockers, theres no question about that...
Old 05-15-2008, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

impossible ! " These will contain heat much better then the stockers"= FALSE .
Old 05-15-2008, 01:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: I prefer to see the full inside welded and then 1/4 inch sections on the outer

There basically the same thing but in reverse haha..
Old 05-15-2008, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The wall thickness of the stainless steel should be taken into consideration and

coatings like in the first pictures posted help a lot as well.

Compared to other traditional tubular headers, these use schedule 10 (1/8'') which is a lot thicker than what's out there for 2.7t.

Quick Reply: Some new pics of completed GenX GT manifolds: