S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Someone call an Exorcist!! My car is possesed!!!©

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2001, 08:56 AM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone call an Exorcist!! My car is possesed!!!©

Okay, some really wierd **** happened last night.
I came home from my office and parked in front of my place as usual. I switched off the car as usual. I got out and closed the door and went to open the rear door to get my backpack, as usual. However, just as I was about to open the rear door, the electronics all came to life (as if the key was in the "ON" position). I was standing there with the doors closed and the key in my pocket and the whole dash was lit up and the radio was playing as if I had just turned on the car. Now this IS wierd, but this is the second time this has happened. So I decided to start the car and turn it off again. This is where stuff got even stranger.

I get in and start the car. Engine cranks normally and starts up. I rev the engine to 2500 RPM a few times and then turn her off...only the engine keeps running!! I had taken the key out of the ignition and the engine was still running. This is really wierd (the first time I have ever had this happen in any car), so I go inside and call my roommate to come check it out. The car is still running with me standing on the sidewalk holding the keys. So I get back in, put the key in and turn it to the "ON" position again and turn it back off. You guessed it, I keeps on running. I do this several more times to no avail. Now I'm starting to get a little worried. Popping the hood and disconnecting the battery in the dark with the humidity at 9X% was not an option.

So there I am franticlly turning the key "ON" and "OFF" about 8-10 times before the engine finally shuts off. This is seriously Fuqued-up. My guess is that the ignition relay is flaking out. I may need to have the dealer check out the whole electrical system after this recent episode. This is the second time the electronics have randomly turned on w/ the key removed from the ignition. Oddly enough, I swear that the electronics turned on before I put the key into the ignition when I left the office to come home last night (that would be three times, then). Also, my battery randomly died one morning last month after the car hadn't been turned on for ~30 hrs (I had to jump-start her with my roommates car, in the rain).

Anyone have any ideas as to what's going on? Am I right about the ignition mechanism?

Thanks.
Old 07-09-2001, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

turbo timer???
Old 07-09-2001, 08:59 AM
Elder Member

Nope. Only interior mods are Boost Gauge and TT dead pedal.
Old 07-09-2001, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

damn..... : good luck!
Old 07-09-2001, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sounds like a great idea for a movie...you should have copyrighted your post!
Old 07-09-2001, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'd guess a faulty ignition position sensor.

When did your car first do this? You didn't spill anything on your steering column, or squirt cleaner or something in there by accident, did you?

I'd take your car to the dealer asap, and get that fixed... can't be good (or safe, really -- might shut off while driving, etc??)

-T
Old 07-09-2001, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I second that...
Old 07-09-2001, 09:34 AM
Elder Member

Hehe, look now. But John Carpenter already did that ("Christine").
Old 07-09-2001, 09:43 AM
Elder Member

Default Never spilled or sprayed anything in there. Happened once last month and then again last night.

Yeah, a dealer visit is definitley in order. It'll have to waite till next week though. Gotta get this thesis defense done.
Old 07-09-2001, 10:37 AM
Audiworld Sponsor

That was Stephen King.

Quick Reply: Someone call an Exorcist!! My car is possesed!!!©