S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

sorry for another dumb alcantara question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2001, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sorry for another dumb alcantara question...

but i noticed there is alcantara on the doors also...does that ever get dirty with people hands always touching it to close the door? anyone have this experience? thanks for the help again!
Old 05-01-2001, 07:01 AM
Elder Member

Default Alcantara doesn't really get dirty...

I dumped a latte on the seat of my old S4 and it just dabbed out.
Old 05-01-2001, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default no doubt...

...<i>it will</i> get dirty over time whether you have the silver or blue alcantara. The silk nappa leather will not reveal as much dirt though because of its natural dark color and is easier to clean. But regular wipe-off of damp cotton cloth helps maintain the alcantara clean. I use lexol for the onyx leather.
Old 05-01-2001, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default glad to know...

it just comes off like that, no doubt however, that you have to do wipe it off as quickly as you can. You dont want to let it <i>settle</i> in on the alcantara or on to anything for that matter. Thats why I told my wife and daughter and occasional passengers: no eating (well okay, except for the occasional cookie snacks) and no drinking from an open cup in the car...must be in a spill proof container. It helps.
Old 05-01-2001, 08:03 AM
hwj
AudiWorld Super User

Default Actually...

There is Alcantara on the doors, true, but the part which most people's <i>hands</i> will be on most -- the handles -- are plastic. Alcantara only covers the parts that the forearm and elbow would rest on (and then only if they're a shorter-than-average person; the door armrests are little low for comfortable arm-resting thanks to the S4's very tall seatbottoms).
Old 05-01-2001, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default hmmm, i did not know that either! thanks hugh, i was worried about monitoring that area...

cause it would seem it would get dirty...but most of you all say that alcantara is easy to clean, so that is a relief...
Old 05-01-2001, 08:08 AM
hwj
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yep. Almost 1 year now and I have yet to need to clean my blue Alcantara.

Looks as nice as the day I bought it. (Okay, okay, it's a little dustier than back then. A damp cloth should solve that, though.)
Old 05-01-2001, 09:43 AM

Default Oh man dude, have i got a story to tell you.

I had gone through a freakin ford of water and some of it got into the engine and the car started to bog up, so i made it back to my house, called up roadside assistanace and this guy w/his flatbed came. So he's getting my car onto the flatbed, but he forgot to take his gloves off and was handling the drivers side door. I didn't notice any of this at the time beacuse it was the first time my baby was going up on the 'stretcher' and i was so concerned about what would happen to it.

the next day later i get a call from my dealer service rep and he's goes to me "what the hell happened to your side alcanatara?!" i'm like "what do you mean?" He goes "come down here right now, you should see this." i'm thinking oh ****, that ******* must've done something. So i get to the dealer and there's dust and all this black crap alllllllllllllll over the alcantara. I'm sitting there cursing like a sailor and my dealer goes "don't worry, we can clean it up as much as we can, but i don't think it'll get totally clean."

So they proceed to clean it up, i get the car back, and the alcantara looks a tad bit browner, dirtier than all my seats and the other doors. It's not really noticeable, thank goodness there weren't patches of dirt on the door..it was sort've evenly spread out over the door. I wash my alcantara monthly now with hot water, scrub it down with a very clean (no soap, not even gonna try that) towel, then drench it again with cold water, soak up the water with a thin towel, then i leave the car out in the sun for a bit to let it dry up and it's cleaner and brighter than new.

But i tell ya, that was a frekain horror story.

-azi
Old 05-01-2001, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

damn...sorry to hear! but glad to hear it came out! =)
Old 05-01-2001, 10:17 AM

Do you guys put anything on the Alcantara? Like Suede protectant?

Quick Reply: sorry for another dumb alcantara question...