S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Speeding, got laser'ed: guilty, worth it to go to court?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speeding, got laser'ed: guilty, worth it to go to court?

Late Sunday evening, dropping off a friend at the airport and got caught speeding. Laser'ed by a cop in the median, caught going 93 in 55 (freeway). Frankly, I'm a dumbass for going that fast.

This is only my second speeding ticket, and the only other ticket on my record was out of state: hired a lawyer who got it reduced down to a 74 in a 65. My biggest concern with this new ticket is the points and the resulting insurance hit (although the fine is a nasty one).

Given my lack of prior tickets in this state, Georgia State law says I am eligible for driver's school. Since I was caught by laser and I'm certainly guilty, I will obviously not be pleading not guilty or even nolo [contendre].

Is it worthwhile for me to appear in court and ask the prosecutor/judge to consider a sentence involving driver's school/reduced fines/court fees or some combination of those 3 in order to at least reduce the possible point hit on my license? Are reduced sentences considered despite the fact I won't have an attorney and I'm outright pleading guilty? Has anyone had any similar experiences in such situations?

My current instinct tells me to go to court and give it a shot.

TIA.
Old 01-22-2004, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ususally just by showing up they will give u a lower one..

that's what i did ... u should get a achanse to speak to the prosecutor before and tell him , that u don't have to many spd tickets and u should have a chanse..they care about the fines thei receive and may give u a break on points..
it's a chanse for u , take it!
be nice and honest .. see if any friends know a cop in the area.. that would def help.
my opinion of course.
Old 01-22-2004, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

driver's school is worth the effort & time
Old 01-22-2004, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Dont feel bad the DAY I got my stage 3, I was ticketed for going 128 in a 45...

I went to court and got it dropped to an 80 in a 45. After getting my *** chewed by the judge and being called the dumbass of the century I was able to sneak away with a 4 point ticket and a 6 day traffic school fine. I was also made to attend a 2 day anger management class.
My point here is the court will work with you. If I had fought it i probably would have had my licence suspended.
Old 01-22-2004, 01:20 PM

Knowing the roads is nice... I just did 130 mph on I-95 last night :-)
Old 01-22-2004, 01:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default what county?

I recently got a ticket in Cobb, fought it and had it reduced.

That's a big ticket - big fine and 6 pts (15 in 24 months and you lose your license).

I'd do no-lo - you might get no points. At least bring a traffic attorney to get a reduction while pleading guilty with an explanation.

You could also go after the unit's calibration.

Good luck!
Old 01-22-2004, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Ha! Anger management! Were you arrested? How did a cop catch you if you were going 130?
Old 01-22-2004, 01:24 PM
Rest In Peace

Default if driver's school will get rid of it entirely, do that. Otherwise, go to court and meet the

prosecutor.
Old 01-22-2004, 01:24 PM
Elder Member

hey dude...call me.
Old 01-22-2004, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default No I was not arrested.....

I did not keep that speed for very long I was on a back road and only trying to test things out. I had slowed down to a reasonable speed when I saw A white unmarked police car flying up behind me. Imagine the sinking feeling in my gut!
I was asked to step out of the car while he inspected it. I think he had thought it might be stolen.
When he allowed me to explain myself he seemed to cool down a bit and told me he understood the urge but that there is a right time and place to do this sort of thing and this most certainly wasnt it.
All in all he was a very cool cop and allowed me to go without arresting me or impounding the car.
The judge slapped me with the anger management class not because I was out of line or anything, I think he just wanted to make things as inconvinient for me as possible.
Like I said I am a dumbass!!

Quick Reply: Speeding, got laser'ed: guilty, worth it to go to court?