S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Spongy brake pedal & ABS Kicking In at low speeds on dry pavement??

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spongy brake pedal & ABS Kicking In at low speeds on dry pavement??

I don't know which pads I have because I've inherited this car from somebody else.

The pads rattle when driving over cobblestones or bridge expansion joints.

They also squeal at low speed stops.

However, the most alarming thing is that I seem to require a fairly firm foot to get the car to stop and sometimes when I'm not applying enough pressure, it's as if the car decides I'm not stopping fast enough and the ABS kicks in. -At least I *think* it's the ABS because the brakes make a loud low groaning sound and I stop very abruptly during/after this noise. -There is usually no judder or vibration unless this loud groaning behavior manifests itself.

Also, the pedal seem spongy for an S4. I think it would be a good idea to get the brake fluid replaced and I'm considering having the dealer install stock pads - I'd like to know what 'stock' feels like before I embark on any upgrade path...or any path that better suits my driving style when I figure out what that is.

I'm reading through the StopTech articles with interest, but I would like to know if anybody else has had this problem and what they found the root cause(s) to be.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Tire Pressure?
Old 09-20-2007, 10:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do you know for certain there is no malfunction of the caliper/pad/carrier etc? Get this checked

first! I assume you can visually verify that there is adequate pad material left. Skip the dealer for new pads, etc as you will get bent over. Stock pads are OK, decent balance of fade resistant, quiet and relatively low dust. Most everyone got Jurid pads from the factory - I did.

Pads sholdn't rattle, ever. Could be air in the line, loose/misaligned pads, or something more serious. Get it checked NOW if you don't know what you are looking at in checking if everything is functionally OK via visual inspection.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Tire Pressure?

Good point. Tires are CRAP. Old Falken Azenzis almost down to wear bars.

However, they're 36 psi front and 34 psi back.

I'm getting some Nokian Hakka 5s for Winter and will likely buy either

Bridgestone RE750s or Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 next summer.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Do you know for certain there is no malfunction of the caliper/pad/carrier etc? Get this checke

Thanks. I believe I will follow all of your recommendations.

There's lots of pad left all around.

About the rattling. -I actually thought it was a heatshield or something underneath the car. -It was the tech at the Audi dealer who said: "Those are jobber pads. They'll sometimes rattle. Should be OK, though." I'm kinda feeling violated...

Other weird thing is that I had to have the car safetied to bring it into Quebec. Further, I had the car put through a pre-purchase inspection at an Audi dealer in Ottawa prior to buying the car. I'd have expected somebody to catch any brake issues. However, I'll take it for a brake inspection tonight to be certain.

This really angers me. Why would anybody take chances with their brakes???
Old 09-20-2007, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Abs kicking in at low speeds w/o lock up may mean your reluctor ring ( tone ring )

on the cv joint is split. Have a look at the rings ( all wheels ) a cracked ring has given me these symptoms twice.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good point. Also, make sure to brush off all the dust that can accumulate between the wheel speed

sensor and the reluctor ring. That can interfere with signal due to the dust being metallic from the rotors. If speed sensor is out of alignment, it usually generates a warning light in the instrument cluster.