S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Spring rate question for Stasis Tracksport junkies...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spring rate question for Stasis Tracksport junkies...

Normally I'd just call Ryan on something like this, but well... You guys know that story, and unfortunately I'm not sure the resellers who now handle Stasis questions can answer this either.

Basically, I'd like to know what the ideal spring rate is to achieve critical damping with the standard "sport valving" option. I'm running 700F/800R right now and it feels like there is a little too much spring for the shock to dampen (getting a little body oscillation). To some degree I can tune this out with the rebound adjustment, but then the ride gets real harsh. Now that its winter, a harsh ride is especially bad.

I'll throw out 600/700 as my guess because you most often hear people moving 100lbs up or down from here. I'd like to know what you guys think, and if anyone knows what the perfect spring rate is if you do that calculations...

I wish Ryan was still around :/
Old 12-14-2004, 05:10 PM

<tracking thread> I'd love to hear some ideas on this subject too. :-\
Old 12-14-2004, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Maybe I should change my screen name when I ask about mods... I'd probably get more responses
Old 12-14-2004, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default i'm still around, but it's not like i invented the wheel...

...Jason at STaSIS (and Paul if you can get him on the phone) are both far more knowledgeable than myself.

But at any rate, to get to your issue...

Given that you have uprated f/r sway bars, and you're running 700/800 springs, you're already at a fairly above normal level of body control.

At this point, to really start to make suggestions, it would be good to know at what point the rebound is too little and too much. So in other words, where are your current settings?

I think you'll find 600/700 to be a bit soft, and I'm also betting you may like going with less offset, but first I'd like to know where the rebound is set at.

I'm heading offline, but i'll check back tomorrow.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You know... I've seen you posting here but I had no idea it was you!

Doh! Thanks for taking your time out to reply when you shouldn't have to anymore! Much appreciated!

I've experimented quite a bit with rebound over the months. Long story short, I love how it handles at 1/4 turn down from max stiff in front and 7 sweeps from full soft in the rear. This is where I am happiest in terms of body motion, except for the fact that this is way too harsh for long term daily driving. It is really cool when you can control oversteer/understeer with throttle though

But alas, these days I run +2.0 turns from full soft in front and 4 sweeps from full soft rear. This gives a decent balance on the street with the aforementioned slight front end bounce. Feedback from the rear is reduced, but on the whole the car moves over bumps "as one".

The harshness is noticably better if I lower the front to 1.5 or 1.0 turns up from full soft. However, the front bounces wildly (porpoises) at this setting. I've tried lowering the rear as low as 3 turns from full soft to compensate, but it just never feels right, even when I crank the front back up a bit.

The higher rebound in the front seems to help "keep the nose up" quite a bit over bumps, both large and small. This is the "feel" I wish to maintain on the street. I'm just looking to reduce some of the harshness if possible. I'm pretty positive that I may not be able to do this with rebound adjustments, which is why I'm asking about spring rates now.

I went too soft the first time with 600/700/touring (didn't have rebound adjustment holes -> big mistake) and I think I went a little too stiff the second time around. Who knows where I am destined to go next. Perhaps I am destined for Ohlins... Perhaps I just like to tweak with this thing too much... So far the journey has been lots of fun, albeit expensive.

But anyway, thanks again for all your help in the past Ryan. You are definitely an asset to this community!
Old 12-14-2004, 11:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have 500/600 with sport valving...

I've been running on Stasis's recommended street street setup since I got the c/o in early summer:

- 1/2 turn from full soft in front
- 4 sweeps from full soft in rear

And I've quite happy with that. I'm on stock wheels btw. When I switched to winter wheels/tires in preparation for winter, I wanted to turn down the damping for a softer ride. I played around a little and am now at basically half the original setting:

- ~1/4 turn from full soft in front
- 2 sweeps from full soft in rear

This gives a really comfy ride, perfect for going over packed ice/snow, but mind you my 16" winter tires probably helps too. I do notice some "pogo-ing", seems like the front doesn't settle fast enough, however at least now both ends seems to match in terms of up/down motion. I'll probably play around a bit more when I have some time, and it it's not too cold outside!