S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

SQUEEEEEEK when dry steering

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SQUEEEEEEK when dry steering

Ok - 2000 S4, 110k. Bilstien Sport Shocks and H&R coils all front control arms replaced.

I don't think this is indicative of a major problem, but I wanted to see if there was a quick and cheap fix for this or if others have the same issue.

On "dry steering" when the car is stopped or moving slowly the car emits a metallic screeching noise. This occurs mostly when the steering angle is more extreme, as when reversing out of a parking spot, ect. I figure something in the steering system needs a little grease but before I waste time lubing top to bottom maybe someone could point me to the culprit. My guess is the rack - do you concur?
Old 04-29-2009, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Squeek or squeel? I wouldn't do anything to the rack, the system is lubricated by the steering fluid itself. I would check the steering rack/tierod end boots to see if they suffered damage, and/or are filling up with p/s fluid.

EDIT: Forgot to say, if sounds kinda like finger nails on a chalk board + licked finger making a crystal glass hum. This is normal. I think this is sound is from the high pressure build up at extreme steering angles.
:END EDIT

Side story:
I had a high pressure seal fail due to a slap dick doing a ****ty job installing tierod ends. Didn't replace the boots properly. p/s fluid leaked like crazy out of the tie rod boot. Then once I got the rack replaced I got a temp alignment from a shop so I wouldn't finish killing my tires tires before I could get them replaced.
This place didn't adjust the boot and left it all twisted and nearly tore the new boots which would have lead to the same failure I had just repaired.

symptom of this failure was very wierd sound, hard to discribe sounded like it was comming from the u joint into the car...

Last edited by complacentsee; 04-29-2009 at 07:38 AM.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Check your power steering fluid. It should be green. If it's brown it's time for a flush. I know that help mine and a buddies car.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Comp and Rolled

Thanks to the both of you! PS fluid needs to go for sure. Tie rod ends are still good (for the moment) but I will check the other parts you mentioned.

By the way, excellent description of the audible symptoms! That is exactly the sound I'm getting.

Cheers!