S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

StarTac installation final report! (well almost!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-1999, 02:36 PM
Jim De Arras

Default StarTac installation final report! (well almost!)

I have been successful in installing a StarTac Handfree/booster/handset adaptor in my new S4! Complete integration, including using the Audi stock hands free mike in the ceiling.

The radio and dash display "Phone" when the phone is active in hands free mode. The radio mutes. The Nav still chatters, along with the caller if necessary. The Nav and phone share the little second speaker on the driver's door. I initially thought the phone audio was coming out different speakers, as the voice quality was much better than the Nav voice.

On incoming calls, the radio mutes, and the phone rings. I have my phone programmed for auto handsfree answer, so after 2 rings, the phone beeps and connect to the caller. The call proceeds as usual, the audio quality of the Audi mike is great. When the caller hangs up, the "system" drops the call after a couple of seconds, and the radio returns!

On out dial, you hear the tones as you dial them, them when you press "send", the radio return until the distant phone starts ringing. If you have trouble connecting, you can press "Snd to redial", and the phone continues to try the connection, while you listen to the radio. When the phone finally gets a connection to a cell, the radio mutes, displays "Phone", and the call proceeds.

If you pick up the handset at any time during a call, the radio starts playing again. If you go back to hands free, the radio mutes once again.

I've taken photos of the mods to the Motorola interconnect box, and will detail it out if there is interest. This applies to my particular kit, there are probably differences between some models, so YMMV!

All I'm waiting for now is the bumper antenna, which is hidden inside the bumper on both sides of the car, in that plastic part that wraps around from the end. Two half wave dipoles, totaly encapsulated, one on each side, the pair is claimed to perform as well as a 1/4 wave vertical on the roof. It is also the OEM antenna for mercedes, and porsche, and cost real money, so I expect it to do well. I'll report when it arrives.

Currently, I'm using an approx 1/4 wave of 22 guage solid copper wire sticking up in the crack between the twp back seats, at the front of the rear deck. Works very well, to my surprise!
Old 12-12-1999, 03:22 PM
Chicago Joe

Default Let's get this one made into an FAQ...

Is this for the analog or digital StarTAC?
Old 12-12-1999, 03:53 PM
John

How much was the kit and where did you get it?
Old 12-12-1999, 04:37 PM
AvramD

Default Did you see my and JohnC's posts about putting up a window antenna?

It is very easy, and looks totally OEM. You barely have to dismantle anything.

Not sure what your motivation for the bumper antenna is, but if it's convenience of installation, you should also consider this option. I'm not radio expert, but I've always hear that higher is better, and the less metal you can put the antenna behind, in any direction, also the better.

If you just don't want to dirty the appearance of your baby, then it sounds like you have the right answer!<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/forum/m/s4/17032.phtml">JohnC - you are a GENIUS! Another successful Nokia installation (w/ antenna)...</a></li></ul>
Old 12-12-1999, 04:42 PM
AvramD

Default Also, it seems StarTac car kit is much better than the Nokia one...

My Nokia kit doesn't let me hear the touch tones when dialing - I don't hear anything until it mutes the stereo. When yours does it, I gather you still hear the stereo? Very cool. Also cool that it gives you back the stereo while waiting for the first ring.

What are people's reactions to how you sound when you talk to them through it? For me, people couldn't hear me at all w/ the factory mic, and now that I've replaced it with the Nokia supplied mic, they say I sound like I'm really far away. I have to yell to really hold a conversation.

I intend to start looking for someone who knows a lot about microphone sensitivities to give me some pointers on looking for a replacement mic. Anyone out there have this kind of knowledge?
Old 12-12-1999, 07:24 PM
Yellow S4 in N. VA.-TRB

Default The Digital Startac is different

Great Job! But, now I know why your install is different than mine. Things just were not making sense to me. We have different phones! I may have missed something earlier, but I did not know you were not using the Digital(PCS) Startac. It can not use the booster (according to Motorola). I do not know if any other pieces in the kit are interchangeable and would allow the connections to be made in a similar fashion to yours, but there is another way (isn't there always)

For those of you who have the PCS version it can be interfaced directly, by using the headset connector, and some creative interfacing (no active electronics required!). But you can not use it with the Audi mic. As Jim De Arras stated his mic has a voltage bias, or in other words, is a "Condenser" or "phantom powered" type microphone. The headset adaptor on the Digital(PCS) Startac is apparently for a "Dynamic" or non-powered type microphones only. But it can be done, and I am sure someone out there has a kit for it. I did mine with out a kit and it takes some parts hunting, connectors, mic and switch for "radio mute". I am sure "mute" can be done automatically as Jim De Arras did it, if you have a connector ID chart for the PCS Statac, or if you are adventuresome and want to check logic levels yourself...Let me know if you find it!
Old 12-13-1999, 02:54 AM
Jim De Arras

Default I'd guess the Digital Startac kit very similiar, and still uses condenser mike.

The kit only provides 3v bias, way too low for the Audi mike. But even if the new kit uses a dynamic mike, you are hacking together a conector, any way, so providing power to the mike is trivial, and the output will be MUCH hotter than a dynamic mike, so level matching is no problem, just a resistor divider.

My kit has "universal" parts, and the booster can be omitted without change to the installation. It does have a central connector box with a CPU and other parts inside. This is what I modified, not the startac! The startac sits in a cradle in the trunk, btw.
Old 12-13-1999, 04:57 AM
Jim De Arras

Default Funny, I'm a HAM, but I do not like antennas showing on my car!

You are right, higher is generally better, but these two antennas, on opposite sides of the car, should also have a good 360 degree view, and thier gain offsets to some degree thier height, giving, claims the maker, performance equal to, or better than, a 1/4 wave roof mount. A window mount gain antenna would be about the same, they are somewhat lossy at best!
Old 12-13-1999, 04:58 AM
Jim De Arras

Does anyone know the part number(s) of the OEM phone handset platform, the one that raises out of
Old 12-13-1999, 04:58 AM
Jim De Arras

the armrest??

Quick Reply: StarTac installation final report! (well almost!)