S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

STaSIS / Koni Street Sport Coilover Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Makes sense. So all things being =, $ included, which system would YOU choose for a street car....

...sedan that'll see no track duty, only Nor Cal roads (and I know you have experience with these), and occasionally hauls a 2 year old in her car seat in the back. Really just looking for the best steet coilover set-up for the $. Finally, if you could only (or would choose to) go with H & R for your sedan, would you run with Avants or Sedan rates (even given the fact that the 25 lb. rate is so nominal...pretend your a F1 crew chief). ; ) Many thanks.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:46 AM
Elder Member

I would choose the Koni Street Sport COs. :-)
Old 04-28-2005, 08:50 AM

With H-sport sway, I like them a lot for street
Old 04-28-2005, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I've learned that what I like differs from many people...

...that being said, here is what I think is most prevalent in those options.

The KONI will generate a more compliant ride compared to the Bilstien damper in the H&R setup. So if you are on the sporty side of aftermarket, that leans you to H&R. But if you are on the compliant side of aftermarket, that leans you to KONI.

To get more specific...

The KONI will go unnoticed more in general driving around. The occasional pothole and grade change won't resonate through the car like it will with the H&R. The "roll" of the car will be a bit less with the H&R (even though spring rates are very close) due to the high gas pressure in the damper. But that same high gas pressure and mono-tube setup with the kind of valving that Bilstein uses adds harshness over rough stuff.

So perhaps your decision will be made easier by thinking about what you DON'T want in your suspension, rather then what you do want. Both are very much competing products, and although within just themselves, are very different (one on the sporty side, one on the compliant side), they are close enough to be considered.

Is compliance more important?

Is getting the most "sport" you can for the money important?

That is, IF they cost exactly the same. From what it *sounds* like you are interested in, I'd get the KONI C/O's...

On to your next question, I would get the Avant spec for the higher rear spring rate. Even though it is minor, any little bit helps.

On a seperate note, I've been driving around on the Eibach Pro-System of late. It is fantastic. Ride height is very low, but they offer a coilover version now. I don't know what this costs, but if it's close, you should most definitely add it as I think my current setup is better then bot the H&R Streets and KONI coilover kit.

IMO of course...
Old 04-28-2005, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Though, i understand they do not hve a great rage of adjustability...

can someone explain. I am also planning on upgrading to coilovers too soon. TIA
Old 04-28-2005, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

what doesn't? The H-Sport bars? The KONI C/O's?
Old 04-28-2005, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What makes them not suited for the track?

Too soft? Are they still a great improvement of stock?
Old 04-28-2005, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The streetsports...

also, if the streetsports are not a true stasis setup how are they called stasis streetsports...
Old 04-28-2005, 09:31 AM
Stätus Josh

Default Let me know when you want to upgrade ;) I'm sure you could find a buyer for your setup easy

I say track sports 700/800!
Old 04-28-2005, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You're pretty much limited to rear rebound changes only...

...but if you're looking for an adjustable suspension, i don't think the KONI C/O's or H&R Streets/Ultras are what you should be looking at anyways.

Quick Reply: STaSIS / Koni Street Sport Coilover Questions