S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

STaSIS Track Sport questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STaSIS Track Sport questions

It is finally suspension time (2000 S4 B5 Sedan).

I've been researching the archives and have pretty much decided to install STaSIS Track Sport Single Adjustable Coil Over Kit with the sport valving and 600/700 springs.

So here are my questions:

1) Is there anything out there that is better that I should consider? Or alternatively, can I achieve the same results with anything cheaper?

2) I own a Porsche 996 Turbo. Anyone have any idea how the ride would compare? I do not mind a street ride at least as firm as on the Turbo. Or even one as firm as a stock GT3 or GT3RS.

3) What camber angle should I expect if I lower the suspension to the usual levels with this set-up and keep the stock upper control links on the front?

4) I already feel that the car with stock suspension oversteers (especially in the snow) so I am going to wait to try out the suspension before I consider roll bar changes. I am actually expecting the set-up to oversteer even more than stock without any rollbar change. Anyone see any problems with this?

5) What is the cheapest source for the STaSIS system? I intend to do the installation work myself.

Thank you.

Stephen
Old 08-19-2004, 12:14 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

You think the stock suspension has a tendency to oversteer?!??
Old 08-19-2004, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2nd that. it's a fat pig that doesn't want to turn...
Old 08-19-2004, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes I do. And I know that most don't think so.

I think it is a matter of style. Different driving styles can produce very different handling characteristics. How else can I explain it?

Stephen
Old 08-19-2004, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

He did mention snow, so I imagine it is powered oversteer, not normal oversteer.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Have you looked at STaSIS/OHLINS Motorsports?
Old 08-19-2004, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: STaSIS Track Sport questions

I think you mean to say understeer... Front end pushes. Big rear bar or stiffer rear springs fixes that.

I have a race car running 700lb front springs and 500lb rear springs. There is nothing rougher than that except for a go cart. Your S4 will ride rougher than a GT3 that's for sure.

With a 700lb rear rate (stiffer than the front springs) you won't need any roll bars. You'll be able to induce oversteer or understeer with the throttle.

I would mellow-out with the spring rates a bit unless this is going to be a track car.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Like flying into a corner too fast and slamming on the brakes and spinning.. oversteer ;-)
Old 08-19-2004, 12:30 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Well, it does understeer. That is a fact.

In the snow you can coax the back end out, but you really have to try to bring the back end around. While I agree somewhat with your statement about "driving style", I think it has more to do with plain old physics, and the driver's concept of vehicle dynamics. The condition of the tires also plays a role in this, but for the purposes of this discussion, I'll assume you've set the pressures equal all around, and the tires are the same brand/model/size, treadlife all around.

You can put on a stasis tracksport kit with equal weight springs front and back. That will take out a little understeer from the chassis, but understand part of what you're paying for when going to these kits is their nuetrality. That comes from higher rate springs in the rear (100 lbs higher in the rear than the front, usually). I have a 500F/600R lb kit, and it's great imho. I've taken a winter driving school with it, and loved the ability to throttle steer with the car. I've never found the car "tail happy" unless I did something stupid. And even when it has stepped out on me, it was very progressive...I felt it happening, and had ample time to shift some more weight to the rear tires to get them to catch.

I'm not really sure what your expectations are. But if you feel the car has a tendency to oversteer now, and you don't want to increase that tendency, I would suggest you leave the suspension alone.

So you have any track time under your belt?
Old 08-19-2004, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes, somethig like that. :-)

In slower corners I'm very aggressive with the brakes going well into the corner. With faster corners I tend to have a high entry speed (so much less throttle than most going through the corner). I am using the throttle to balance the car but not really to power the back end out. It is all about weight transfer.

Anyway, what can I say? That's my experience with this car. Maybe it is my specific car? Who knows. But I can tell you that in comparison my Porsche understeers quite a bit. The S4 seems much more nicely balanced.

Stephen

Quick Reply: STaSIS Track Sport questions