S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

STaSIS Track Sport questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 12:39 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Answers to your other questions...

1. Honestly, this is probably one of the best kits you can get for your money. Post where you live, and see if you can get a ride in a car with a tracksport kit, just to get an idea. You won't regret it.

2. No idea. I would love to throw out a comparison for you, but that means I'd have to buy a 996, and my wallet says "not today".

3. Well, it depends on how low you set the front of the car. with about a 3/4" drop from stock, I would expect about -1.5 degrees of camber up front. You shouldn't see any wierd tire wear unless you bring the front fender height below 25".

4. Addressed below. I love (90%) how the car handles with their kits.

5. There really isn't a "cheapest" source. They are a small company, and have a small number of distributors. Prices are pretty consistent where ever you go. Avalon Motorsports, Achtuning, Matrix Engineering, and maybe 1 or 2 others are Stasis dealers.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes, actually.

Yes, quite a bit of track time actually.

I'm not complaining about the oversteer or saying that I want less of it or that the car is "tail happy". In fact, I find the car quite nicely controllable. I tend to prefer oversteer to understeer.

My experience is that driving style can play a very big part in how a car handles. But anyway, not sure why we're going down this avenue. Maybe someone should start a new thread if they want to debate this? I have no argument that the S4 can usually understeer. If I change my style then I will often see the same thing.

Stephen
Old 08-19-2004, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's good to know.

I really wouldn't want to go harder than a GT3. So maybe 500/600 would be better then ???

Thanx for the info!

Stephen
Old 08-19-2004, 12:47 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I was just trying to set your expectations...

There is a dramatic difference between the OEM and the Stasis suspensions. If I were of the opinion that the OEM susp. oversteered, I would probably be unhappy with the stasis kit.

If you have considerable track time, I promise you, you'll embrace the differences, and you'll adjust your driving style in the winter as needed.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Eastern Connecticut...

I would absolutely love to experience this setup before installing it. So if anyone can offer me a ride I would really appreciate it!

I think -1.5 would be absolutely perfect. I already can see that I need to increase the negative camber from the wear of the tyres. So this will kill two birds with one stone.

Are the rears adjustable? Can I get a similar setting on the back??

Do you think 500/600 might make more sense? That's what I'm thinking now based upon other's comments..

Happy to give you a ride in my Turbo but it will require a trip to Europe. :-p

Thanx for the info!

Stephen
Old 08-19-2004, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default :-)))

Last winter I was running studded Hakka 2's and having a wonderful time! I really do love the way you can play around with this car and make it do whatever your heart desires.

Anyway, from all of this I think it is pretty obvious that I should leave the rollbars alone until I've been able to experience the suspension first-hand.

Thank you!

Stephen
Old 08-19-2004, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default ErikS4, just curious but do you have Stasis Tracksports on your S4?

I am guessing no because I have 700/800 springs on my tracksports and it is fine on the streets. I can't compare it to a GT3 as I have never driven one but I would say the ride is about as rough as Vette, it's not bad at all.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Spring rate doesn't effect ride quality like that...

"Harshness" in ride quality is a property of dampening, not spring rate. Spring rate effects ride quality on much larger frequencies - say, large undulations on a highway (as opposed to a bumpy road).

You can run a high spring rate (I'm switching to a 700/800 soon) and adjust your dampening appropriatley for the situation.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:00 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Yup!
Old 08-19-2004, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I thought only rebound daming was adjustable on these?

I guess compression damping is either "sport" or "touring" and I read in the archives what seemed to be complaints that touring didn't match up with the springs that well. Everything that I've ever read about spring/shocks is that it is very important that they are matched and work in harmony. This is what I thought was the advantage of this package -- that the STaSIS sets the two to match.

So what spring combination would you recommend?

Stephen

Quick Reply: STaSIS Track Sport questions