S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

STaSIS Track Sport questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What can I say? I am what I am. It is what it is. End of story. :-)
Old 08-19-2004, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Interesting...

I think that is a pretty good analysis of the 996 Turbo's set-up. I ran it with ceramic brakes for a while and you could really see the difference with the lower unsprung weight. That's damping.

Anyway, at this point, I've had spring rates recommended all over the place. Given the ability to swap the springs, I'm tempted to start high, see if I can live with it, then go down from there if I cannot. I'm betting I can.

Also, lots of different advice on the rollbars. I'm going to have to think about that. I'm still thinking it makes sense to put in the STaSIS system first, lower it to the point where I get -1.5 on the camber and then see how that is. Then maybe later install rollbars and adustable links and then lower it further.

Thank you!

Stephen
Old 08-19-2004, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Porsche 996 Turbo at the Nürburgring - and no the Turbo doesn't oversteer.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There doesn't seem to be a lot of info out there on this...

Anyone have it on their car? Anyone have any info?

Frankly, I also wonder if I'm capable of properly setting up a system like this.

Stephen
Old 08-19-2004, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If I can get -1.5 on the camber I would be happy. But wouldn't want to go beyond that on the street.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Why not?

If the camber naturally adjusts to about -1.5 when you lower it a reasonable amount, then why would I want to buy adjustable links? Why wouldn't I just lover the car until I had the -1.5 camber that I was looking for?

I can understand that one would need adjustable links if one wanted to lower the car further. I've read in the archives of people having this problem as they agressively lover the car. But I don't intend to be that aggressive about it.

Stephen
Old 08-19-2004, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default One more note. The stasis setup is koni and so it has a liquid feel - not a "gas shock" feel.

Some people think this is not as "crisp" but the hard springs really make turn in better, and the little road bumps and cracks are damped by the "liquid." You really will need brakes, because you will brake later, and harder and "brake feel" really comes through the stasis setup. Buy them from stasis directly and ask for Ryan. Don't adjust the camber without talking to them. They are a great company and they will make you happy.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The Vette level of hardness would definately be ok with me.

My experience is that the Vette is definately a softer ride than the Turbo. Maybe a little more bouncy. I can definately live with that degree of firmness.My experience is that the Vette is definitely a softer ride than the Turbo. Maybe a little more bouncy. I can definitely live with that degree of firmness.

I am really thinking at this point that I will start with something like 700/750 or 650/700 and go from there.

Thanx.

Stephen

I am really thinking at this point that I will start with something like 700/750 or 650/700 and go from there.

Thanx.

Stephen
Old 08-19-2004, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Turn-in is something I really care about.

My style is to brake very aggressively and late to get as much weight onto the front as possible to get the car to turn in hard. So what you describe is exactly the sort of thing I care about.

Brakes are a potential problem. I have 16" rims with studded Hakka 2's on them. I really don't want to give this up in the winter. I upgraded the pads to Hawk HPS and I'm really happy with the result (the stock pads were overheating). So far, only high-speed highway traffic has been enough to get them really hot (driving fast and braking for traffic all of the time). I'm about to upgrade the fluid to Castrol SRF. I think that is going to be sufficient. At least I really hope so... I do have a bit of a reputation for destroying brakes. I went through two sets of ceramic composite brakes on the Turbo.

Anyway, thanx for the advice Rocket! What you say makes a lot of sense. :-)

Stephen
Old 08-19-2004, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Got it -- thanx!

Quick Reply: STaSIS Track Sport questions