S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Strat Shifter install questions...please help (m)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2002, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strat Shifter install questions...please help (m)

Ok...this thing is awesome but is getting to be a real PITA.
1. I chose to go with the standard short throw reduction and assembled the aluminum linkage bracket on the shifter lever with the bolt through the top hole in the lever corresponding to the top hole in the bracket. Is this correct???? (the picture is very confusing and can be interpreted a few ways?)

2. How the heck do you reinstall this thing? The directions say: "With the shifter assembly, place the torx bolts throught the rails and place the spacers on the end, threading two washers onto each of the bolts. These bolts will hold the spacers in place when you reinstall the assembly." Does that mean the spacers will be held in place by the bolts once everything is tightened down? or does it mean that somehow the bolts will hold the spacers on during the install? The spacers are meant to stay on permanently correct? Are you supposed to put a washer on the bolt...thread the bolt through the hole on the rail of the shifter assembly...and then another washer below that and then the spacer...and then tighten it down???

I'm getting really confused here...someone please clarify this mess...HELPPPPPPPP!

Or better yet if someone has a bit of time on their hand email me with their number or I'll email you with mine if you could help out...I sure would appreciate it. Please email me at jcollier27@home.com

TIA
Sincerely
Jonah
Old 01-10-2002, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Strat Shifter install questions...please help (m)

Stuff like that make me glad I am used to the stock shifter and see nothing wrong about it that needs a $280 fix ;-)
Old 01-10-2002, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mine's not a Strat shifter...but maybe this helps...

For number 1 i have no idea as my shifter (Tanoga) is not adjustable.

But for number 2, this is what I did (based on the rs4.org instructions) to re-install the shifter.

Put some grease on the holes that the spacers are sitting above (and the torx bolts go into), that way the spacers will sit in the grease, and not move around as you put the shifter back into the car. Then once you get the shifter positioned, you can install the 4 torx bolts and adjust the shifter on the rails.

Make sense?

<a href="http://www.rs4.org/rs4/rs4-fearture/tanoga-shifter/tanoga-intro.htm">Here is the RS4.org install for the Tanoga shifter</a>
Old 01-10-2002, 01:53 PM
Rest In Peace

Those RS4 instructions make it much more understandable.