S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Suspension questions? Suspension answers (maybe) !

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2000, 07:27 AM
merlin

Default Thanks, Grant, I appreciate the insight. (more)

I'm not an audiophile, and I chose the Bose upgrade for precisely the reason you stated--it's noticeably superior to the stock system. Since I did not want to get into any aftermarket upgrades I'm happy the Bose was available, and am quite satisfied with it.
By the way, when I was trying to decide whether or not to order it, I listened to both systems side by side in new (MY2000) A4s. I was concerned, because the Bose in the A4 was slightly boomy, but I ordered it anyway. To my surprise, for some reason the same system in my S4 is smoother--the bass is strong and linear (forgive the ignorant terminology), and to someone who's admittedly not
an audio nut it's more than acceptable.
Frankly, it seems to me that most audiophiles would find serious shortcomings in almost any factory system, and some of the vitriolic attacks on Audi's Bose system leave me shaking my head. This may be a dumb question, but why, if you plan to make serious upgrades, would you spring for the Bose and then trash it, literally and figuratively?
Old 02-20-2000, 11:29 AM
Grant

Default Two heads beat (against the wall) as one ....

>>but why, if you plan to make serious upgrades, >>would you spring for the Bose and then trash it, >>literally and figuratively?

I was shaking my head and thinking the same thing, since one person told me how he just tore his out since it was a "closed" system (mostly true, unless you want to reverse-engineer it).

BTW, audio guy and all, I bought it too. I also agree it sounded boomy, but that's OK, most modern records are too shrill anyway. :-)

Grant
Old 02-20-2000, 05:41 PM
Ron O

My Lexus had (Nakamicci?)one of the finest I've heard, Better than my home unit Bose is much less
Old 02-21-2000, 04:18 PM
Silver Phantom

Default How much $$ did you put in? (more)

Regardless, it was way more than $500, so this replacement cannot be considered a condemnation of BOSE from a value standpoint, right?
Old 03-23-2000, 11:14 AM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension questions? Suspension answers (maybe) !

Here is a explanation of the suspension mods available. for the S4 from The Tire Rack.
Eibach Pro-Kit: $262.00
This spring set will allow you a little more cornering power due to the progressive rate springs. The Eibach set is great for the daily driver which is pushed hard when conditions permit. The 1.0" lowering reduces body roll when fast through the corners and thru most transtions. The ride quality is still very comfortable for the boring highway commute.
H&R Sport Springs: $225.00
While still a progressive spring the H&R's will give you 1.4" lowering in the front and1.3" in the rear. a little less comfort on the top end but, more cornering power when needed. If you love the twisties and are willing to have a little stiffer ride the H&R Sport Springs are a great choice.
H&R Coil Overs: $1309.00
This is the real deal ... want to go racing coil overs are the way to go. With full adjusibility of a race designed and engineered suspension your S4 won't be mistaken as a family sedan. You can get a full 2.0" drop for extreme driving and competition. Beware of the added installation costs when considering the coil overs.
Just a couple more notes:
When ever you increase the performance of your suspension you will push your tires harder if you drive aggressively and in some cases you will find out that your tires are inadequate.
You can't get the most from your tire and wheel upgrade without upgrading your suspension as well. Wheel and tire upgrades typically cause more body roll due to increased cornering traction.
Always get an alignment when adding suspension mods.

Hope this helps, Luke<ul><li><a href="http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/index.html">http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/index.html</a</li></ul>
Old 03-23-2000, 11:30 AM

Default Re: Suspension questions? Suspension answers (maybe) !

Stupid question - per wheel pricing - eg: $262 per wheel or about a grand for the spring update? Where in the So Cal Coast, preferably Santa Barbara to Woodland Hills?

Thanks

dljames@amgen.com
Old 03-23-2000, 11:45 AM

Thanx Luke...just what I've been agonizing over the last few days.
Old 03-23-2000, 01:52 PM

$262.00 for the Eibach Pro Kit..all 4 springs included.
Old 03-24-2000, 04:48 AM
Former Vendor

Listed prices are for a set of springs, but does not include ups chgs.