S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Which suspension will give me the best ride-comfort/handling performance ratio?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default i'm not saying you have to love them, but something is up with your car...

1) Adjust the settings if the ride is not how *you* like it. There are only about 100 people on this forum that will provide feedback on how to adjust them based on: 1) where you live, 2) the type of commute you have, 3) the type of driver you are, 4) what you prefer the car do, and 5) your spring rates.

Think of the default settings like watching a DVD in stereo in full screen mode on a dolby digital amp with widescreen tv. It still *works*, but it's surely not optimized for the hardware. Do you blame the DVD for it's settings, or the owner of the equipment for not setting it up right?

2) If you are rubbing at 26" ride height, try blaming your wheel/tire package. I'm at 24" ride height and I don't rub.

3) What rear spring rate? What type of car (1.8t, S4, avant?). 800lb. on an S4 sedan rear spring will bottom out at 25.35" give or take 1/4". Something is not right about your setup, how it was installed, or where you have it set to.

The rest is subjective, so I can't comment on that.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You do know that Stasis Streetsports are Koni C/Os right?
Old 04-25-2005, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yes..

That's why I mentioned the mixed reviews for the S4. They use the A4 Shocks, and Jack the spring rates, and set the dampning. From some of the past reviews some thought that the shocks were not robust enough for the added spring rates.

I for one would trust stasis, and believe the shocks are up for the task and hit the Street Sports. My Coni C/O's (1.8t Avant) compared to these HR Streets (S4 Avant) were buttery smooooth. (both on 225/40/18)

Not 100% but, from what I read Koni makes a specific shock for the S4. That's why I reccomened the Shock/spring combo, if the questionable Stasis Street reviews were and issue.

Do you like yours? I assume yes, smooth??
Old 04-25-2005, 09:02 AM
Rest In Peace

Default People need to be careful about making mod decisions based on popular AW opinion.

Sometimes it's very useful, but I have gotten caught up in some "must have" mods before, only to be disappointed. The best possible thing is to experience a particular mod yourself before buying. Talk to the individual owners off the forum and ask what they like and dislike. I think many people are sometimes ashamed of spending mucho dinero and having to report less than perfect feedback publicly. That only contributes to a public impression that something is "perfect" when it's not.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Actually Stasis does not do any modifications to the Koni C/O for the Streetsport kit.

They are an off the shelf 2.8 Quattro C/O. They did preset the damping prior to shipping but that was it. As far as my opinion, I like them for everyday driving. They are very compliant and reduce body roll. However, I also think that anyone who will be tracking or is looking for almost no body roll will not be happy with this setup. It is on the soft side as far as suspension goes and there will still be some body roll if you try and drive hard through turns.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default i don't blame the suspension, i blame YOU.

hehe. i keed, i keed.

i have 600/700 on an 01 S4.

i suspect installation error too. so far it's been a week and no response from jason @ stasis. i sent him pix of the rears.

i understand your DVD analogy, i'm not sure i fully agree. i'll have to think about it.

so ryan, where are you working nowadays?
Old 04-25-2005, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default i'm a professional crap's player...

i messed around on teh ametuer circuit, and decided to go pro late last year.

At any rate...

Answer these questions, and I'll give you my best guess:

1) Is your commute mostly highway, or mostly curvy backroads?

2) How long is your commute (in miles)

3) Do you want the car to be "responsive" or "compliant"?

4) Is you are car a sedan or avant?

With 700lb rear springs, you are WAY to high, my guess is the installer was afraid to lower the rear perch beyond teh last visible thread, despite the instructions to the contrary.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default cool. u d man. (answers..)

thanx ryan. i appreciate your time.

<b>1) Is your commute mostly highway, or mostly curvy backroads?</b>
my commute around here is mostly highway. BUT, once it gets to backroads, they get to be pretty rough, especially after winter (i live in assachusetts)

<b>2) How long is your commute (in miles)</b>
at the moment my commute is 4 mi. either highway, or backroads. i plan to move soon however, so this will change. however, i do take highway trips to visit friends and family which can be up to 120mi one way.

<b>3) Do you want the car to be "responsive" or "compliant"?</b>
at this age, i'd go for compliant. i think the responsiveness of a compliant system would be "responsive" enough for me.

<b>4) Is you are car a sedan or avant?</b>
sedan. sorry i meant to cover this before.

my current tire/wheel setup is:
SSR-C 18x8.5 with 35mm offset. tires are kumho ecsta 712 235/40.

also, i was thinking of perhaps going to 700/800 setup. it may seem contridactory to my answer in #3. but from what i've read the spring rate itself does not cause a harsher ride. i thought i could control wheel travel and leaning some more. if you'd like to comment on that..

EDIT&gt; regarding the rear: we had them turned until we could turn no more. it wasn't just visual. i suspect it's at the most bottom.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default something is very amiss

&gt; a) bouncy highway ride @ default damper settings

ALL adjustable c/o systems MUST be properly adjusted. Period. To think otherwise is naive

&gt; b) fronts rub inside of liner @ 26" ride height

Has nothing to do with the c/o's. Suspension geometry is suspension geometry.

&gt; c) can't get rear ride height lower than 26.5" at the lowest setting

Your rears are not installed correctly.

&gt; d) stasis customer support is not all that great

True, ever since ryan is gone

&gt; e) for the money i've dropped into this project, i'm not happy. it definitely doesn't seem like the "end-all" suspension i imagined it would be

YMMV
Old 04-25-2005, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Streets and Neuspeed sway

Saves a lot of $$ from Stasis and still has a great feel to it.

Quick Reply: Which suspension will give me the best ride-comfort/handling performance ratio?