S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Tanoga Short Throw Shifter -->

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tanoga Short Throw Shifter -->

So I am thinking about picking up a Tanoga Shifter for my first mod. I really wanted to go with the ToyGuy Shifter but I can't find any and I found a used Tanoga for pretty cheap. I have read alot on it and everyone seems to think it comes in at a close but distant second to the ToyGuy.

AWE's website lists that the throw of the Tanoga is 50%...is this true? ALso I'm curious how much shorter than stock it is? I want some thing with shorter throw than stock but I don't want it completely chopped off if you know what I mean. I'd like to still be able to use the arm rest when I'm casually shifter.

Anything else I shoudl know about the Tanoga?

Thanks for the help
Old 06-03-2004, 05:26 AM

Default I have a ToyGuy and a friend has a Tanoga

I prefer my ToyGuy because it's a bit smoother. The Tanoga is a very nice shifter as well although a bit notchier. The throw reduction for the ToyGuy shifter is ~30% and the Tanoga is ~50%. After installing my ToyGuy shifter it was significantly shorter and felt about like I would want it. Zold-manS4's Tanoga felt a little too short but I imagine after getting used to it that it would be fine. I suggest you check out <a href="http://www.toyguy.o-f.com/" target="_blank">Craig's website</a>
Old 06-03-2004, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yea ToyGuy definately seem the way to go -->

And once I can get a hold of one I probably would rather have one but I found the Tanoga pretty cheap and I figured if I could sell it at a later time I could at least test it out.

I'm a bit worried about the 50% reduction though. To me that seems a bit more than what I was wanting.

Thanks for the info!
Old 06-03-2004, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Tanoga is pretty close to the height of the stocker
Old 06-03-2004, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Generic's information is a little off.

The Tanoga is the same hieght as the stock shifter. His friend may have cut it down.

In deferance to the TG craze, I prefer the Tanoga. I've driven with the UUC, TG and Tanoga. I actually rate the UUC and Tanoga over the TG.

I do prefer a bit of a notchy shifter, as it feels more gated and precise. The TG felt like the stock, with just shorter throws, and I never liked the stock shifting.

Your best bet is to go to a local Audi GTC, and drive a few others cars, so you can get a good feel. Installation is probably the biggest issue for "bad" SS's.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:47 AM

Default Tanoga = notchy + shortest throw vs. Toy Guy = smooth + reduced throw

I have the Tanoga. I like it but, sometimes the notchiness gets to me. I have a frined who has the UUC, it is kind of between the two. The Tanoga is the shortest of all the ones I am aware of but, you do sacrafice smooth operation.......IMO go Toy Guy it is shorter than stock and smooth. Although I have never experience it I would comment that given the amount of hype it receives it must carry some validity to claims.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went from a Tanoga to the Toy Guy and would definitely wait for the TG shifter. Much smoother.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I had a Tanoga in my car. It IS MUCH shorter throws than the TG. But the TG is MUCH smoother.

Priorities
Old 06-03-2004, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default tanoga will be fine while you wait for toyguy to come back

i wanted a toyguy, but picked up a used UUC to get me through for a while
Old 06-03-2004, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have a stratmosphere short shifter I hear it's close to a

Tanoga shifter. I dont know what you are buying yours at but I am selling mine for a $100

Quick Reply: Tanoga Short Throw Shifter -->