S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test Drive

So i test drove a 2001 S4 i found on a dealers lot a few miles from my house. well its true what they say good from far but far from good...this car was rough! lemme start by posting the autotrader listing...
http://http://www.autotrader.com/fyc...standard=false

so where to start
so upon initial visual inspection we found that the car wasnt black like we thought it was but originally it was yellow, strange, the paint job was horrible too, so now for the keys, the remotes dont work, big deal dead battery.. car fires right up sounds good, examine the interior, cup holder doesnt work, so we start driving it after i let it warm up really quick , everything seems fine for the most part, however i could not hear the turbos spooling for the life of me, which may be typical of a stock s4 maybe not , doing a rapid quick shift between first and second at redline let out a nice grind..ick... as i applied slight throttle pressure i could hear a slight buzzing sound as im thinking this coulda been a throttle body boot or something of the sorts, i didnt hear any clunking from the front so im assuming the control arms are in decent shape, the dealer didnt have any maint. records so immediately i have no clue whats been done to the car and i didnt feel like trying to examine the timing belt...(not too familiar with belt systems dunno if the cover pulls back) the clutch had good grab to it the car kicked on shifts however im not entirely sure if thats just because its awd or not, being that it had 140k on it i was sure itd be a money pit , that and my cousins speculation on the issues that it had probably stemmed from the turbos dying on it...(he thinks their on their way out however the only turbo cars hes had were DSMs) any whom , i got back witht he dealer who told me they knew it was rough but jsut wanted to move the damn car, i offered them 6500 , he said hed get back to me on monday bout it...for its price im positive i could probably find a car listed above that , pay 8500 for it and have it in better shape...not sure

feedback?
Old 05-10-2009, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Run Away! Lots of good deals on S4's now with the economy in the tank.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I'm in Troy and have a Laser for sale

It's a 2001.5 Sedan Laser Red/Onyx with 131k miles

Quik Specs:

The S4 has the standard options (Onyx Leather interior, moon roof, Xenon headlights, auto dimming mirrors, Home Link, Bose sound system) It has the cold weather package w/ ski sack, heated mirrors, and heated seats. The car is mostly stock with a few tasteful add-ons; all done to help improve the daily driving quality of the car (If that’s possible with such a fine piece of machinery). The car has never been chipped or tuned and has always been allowed ample warm up and cool down time to help protect the turbos.

All the maintenance is up to date and receipts are available for all maintenance done during my ownership. Oil was changed religiously every 5000 miles using Elf Synthetic. There is no CEL on the car and a code check will see that it is clean. If desired, I can have the car inspected by one of the guys at VAST upon request.

Maintenance completed includes:

Timing belt service (including water pump, accessory belt, tensioner, etc.) at 90k.
VAST Kevlar Clutch and OEM resurfaced flywheel at 91k
VAST Piggie Downpipes at 91k
710n Diverter Valves at 95k
Throttle Body Boot at 95k
Rear brake pads and rotors at 103k
AWE Drivetrain Stabilizer at 107k
JHM Solid Shifter at 107k
JHM Solid Linkage at 107k
JHM Solid Bushings at 107k
Stasis 4:1 Center Torsional Diff at 107k
Full Transmission Rebuild at 107k
Set of 5 18” Flik Justice Anthracite Grey wheels wrapped with Falken Summers at 112k
Front brake pads and rotors at 113k
Coolant Reservoir at 114k
Bosch Side Fire Spark Plugs at 114k
N75k at 114k
Cam Seals at 114k
Valve Cover Gaskets at 114k
AWE Vent Boost Gauge at 115k
Set of 5 Hankook Icebear Snow Tires (on stock 17” Avus wheels) at 120k
Front O2 Sensors at 125k
UUC VM3 Cat Back Exhaust at 125k
Rear Wheel Bearing at 130k

Extras
Stasis 4:1 Center Torsion Differential
JHM Solid Shifter
JHM Solid Linkage
JHM Solid Bushings
AWE Drivetrain Stabilizer
AWE Vent Boost gauge
UUC VM3 Cat Back Exhaust (very rare)
Piggie Pipes
Set of 5 18” Flik Justice Anthracite Grey for the summer
Set of 5 17” Avus Stockers for the winter
OEM S4 grill (I have 2 of them)

Flaws/Problems

LCD display is missing pixels
Windshield needs to be replaced (I have a great glass guy and it will be replaced before new owner drives the car away)

Asking $10600.

Email if interested atkerbrat at hotmail dot com
Old 05-10-2009, 05:14 PM

pure sex^ pm me with pix!!!
Old 05-11-2009, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Avoid that one at the dealer unless you can pic it up for under $5k. It sounds like a money pit that is going to require a lot of money and work.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:59 PM

oh yeah for damn sure, if i wanted a repair project id boost the living hell outta my nissan and turn it into a show car, and itd be a cheaper repair project than that audi...when i say rough i mean this thing was rough...think of like grandpas old *** benz that collects dust thats the state of condition this car was in...not s4 like
Old 05-14-2009, 04:27 PM

bump for ideas ? input?
Old 05-15-2009, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KrEamer
bump for ideas ? input?
Find a different car. That one is too beat up
Old 05-15-2009, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Definatly, unless you could get it for a lot less than they were asking. and convince them to do something wierd like free code scans for a year. and to do new transmission fluid. (but it probabaly needs ..... i would search for a differant one.