S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

test drive & first impressions...any comments

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-1999, 11:36 PM
jaojon

Default test drive & first impressions...any comments

must apologize if this has been mentioned in previous posts,but i haven't had time to sift through all the messages.

i was fortunate to have taken a 6spd S4 for a test drive this past weekend. i found the power readily available and quite impressive. however, has anyone experienced any difficulty in putting the car in the right gear? was it my imagination or were some of the gears pretty far apart? also, has anyone found the suspension slightly on the soft side? your comments are appreciated...i'm still deciding on whether to take the plunge.
Old 12-16-1999, 03:03 AM
JimZ

Default 6-speed tranny is notchy--however...

at least one poster has had a very serious transmission problem.
Old 12-16-1999, 03:06 AM
Jim De Arras

Default Re: test drive & first impressions...any comments

Some have mentioned the gear throws are long. I have not personally had any trouble shifting, unless you count reverse, my older Audi had reverse where this one has 6th, but otherwise, I'm happy with the shifter.

But then, I did learn with a steering column manual shifter, and anything's better than that!

The suspension is stiff, for it's class, but does have a soft range for minor bumps, stiffening up for deeper excursions.
Old 12-16-1999, 04:06 AM
DaveH

Default Its unfortunate, but generally a disapointing gearbox.

The action on the S4's gearbox i find is very un "sports car" like, having a large gate and gears that just wont be rushed, It does have to deal with a huge amount of power and the large weight of the car but the japanese seam to have no problem making quick shift boxes.

However with the ample power available you soon learn to pretty much ignore the box and drive around it.

For me a TT Style box would be a dream. (or even quicker)

The RS4 has a very similar action but lots of power

Dave
Old 12-16-1999, 04:28 AM
DaveH

Default Suspension Stiff ?

Its like Jello to Me,
Old 12-16-1999, 05:46 AM
garyc

The good news for you guys is that the box loosens up considererably after 12K miles.
Old 12-16-1999, 05:53 AM
Scott W

I'd have to agree...it certainly isn't stiff! I'm changing my springs & shocks.
Old 12-16-1999, 06:20 AM
DaveH

Ive Got 12k and its slightly worse, loose is the LAST thing i want, 2" through and tight please
Old 12-16-1999, 06:23 AM
Wes

Default Re: test drive & first impressions...any comments

I also missed the correct gear once on my first test drive, but I was very used to the gear box after one full day with my car. I have not missed a gear since. The suspension is a matter of personal taste. If it is to soft for your liking just get Eibach springs and Koni shocks. I have had my Santorin S4 for almost 2 months and 3500 miles with no problems.
Old 12-16-1999, 07:55 AM
CV

Default I don't know if I'm getting....

used to it or what, but I'm finding it much more likeable after a few days with it.

Quick Reply: test drive & first impressions...any comments