S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Test drove an S4 for the first time yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test drove an S4 for the first time yesterday...

Was my first time ever being in a B5, and I loved it! Awesome power delivery; very smooth. I am definitely going to be buying one sometime this year.

I have a few complaints, though, and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for fixing them. First off, I thought the shifting was kinda crappy; I know all you can really do about that is a DTS and short-shifter and I can live with not the greatest shift feel. My real gripe is the steering, I found it very front-heavy and unresponsive with a fair bit of understeer. I do plan on getting coil-overs and a sway bar but is there anything else I can do to fix that damn heavy steering feel?

P.S. AW is evil, I don't even have the car yet and I can't believe how many mods I already have planned
Old 02-26-2004, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts
Default You picked up on the two biggest shortcomings of the B5-platform ... chassis and tranny

You can enhance shifter feel through a short shifter, and moderate slop with a DTS, but it'll still be a typical, rubbery VAG box. The new 6-speed tranny in the B6 is a leaps-and-bounds improvement, with respect to feel, but they've had buttloads of clutch problems.

The B5 chassis, especially in as heavy an application as the S4, leaves a lot to be desired. Upgrading to an aftermarket supsension system - properly set up - will result in a marked improvement. And the stock damping/spring rate has a lot to do with those steering characteristics you mention, due to the nose-heavy layout and terrible weight bias ... along with AWD.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:18 PM

I have the AWE DTS and a Neuspeed shifter (with a Rob ****) and I absolutley love it.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

A stiffer rear sway bar along w/ suspension will help steering response
Old 02-26-2004, 03:39 PM

is the rear sway bar very noticable?
Old 02-26-2004, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yeah, but you'll have greater improvement...

from a track event. ;-)

Seriously, getting 90% out of the car stock is greater than 60% out of a modded one. You'd be surprised how many on here think power-on understeer is a four wheel drift. :-P

-KJ
Old 02-26-2004, 04:12 PM
Rest In Peace

Default One suggestion if you do buy one - drive it stock for a while

and learn to enjoy the car the way it came from the factory, for two reasons: (1) it really is a fine car in stock form, and (2) you'll better be able to evaluate the amount of modded improvement if you're comfortable with the baseline.

Unless of course you immediately plan on tracking it, in which case the only must-do mod if you have any track experience is brakes. Everything else, including suspension, is not a must-do, despite what anyone says. Better suspension helps, but you're not going to wreck without it.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:32 PM

Default Great idea, I was thinking about doing mods on-by-one

to get a good feel for each individual mod and be able to tweak specific areas better.

Am I correct in believing that the only reason to upgrade the brakes is to reduce fade, ie. the stock brakes have sufficient stopping power?
Old 02-26-2004, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes - steering response improves with less roll

So both a stiffer suspension & sway bar help. I started with just a sway bar set on hard. Now with H&R streets I need to set the bar softer to be more neutral.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:01 PM

Haha... I know you guys aren't gonna quit till my car is on the track at least once. =)

Quick Reply: Test drove an S4 for the first time yesterday...