S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

are there any alternatives/choices to do tip tranny upgrade besides L10 (and manual tranny swap :P)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are there any alternatives/choices to do tip tranny upgrade besides L10 (and manual tranny swap :P)?
Old 05-06-2005, 07:26 PM

Seriously, we need a cheaper and more reliable way of upgrading our trannies
Old 05-06-2005, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

2nd. i may just get the L10 upgraded TC only and not the full tranny upgrade
Old 05-06-2005, 08:04 PM

Thats what I want to do. Let me know when you decide to do this maybe we can get a deal
Old 05-06-2005, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

hmmm...drop me a line. seriously.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Here are my thoughts....

What kills an automatic is couple of things. Heat, slippage, hard shifts.

If the transmission runs too hot the fluid runs thin, clutches slip and eventually wear out the clutches. The added power will create more heat and more potential slippage.

There are only a couple of ways to cure this. Keep the heat down, add better clutches, and/or increase the pressure on the clutches to keep them from slipping (and causing heat and tearing down the clutches)

ANY transmisson shop that can build an automatic should be able to get better clutches for it, and install a tranmission cooler for you. Some of them "may" be willing and able to figure out how to deliver more pressure to the clutch packs. This is going to depend on the skill of the shop. Level 10 has already figured that out.

I tried to order all of their parts to have my local shop do the build but they would not sell me the parts. (claiming that they don't just sell the parts even though their web site says they do?)

Anyway. I have been looking into this and am trying to find a cost effective way to do this. So far I have come up with limited information, but need to do something soon since I have K04s going in my car.

I also mentioned that "hard shifts" kill autos. They break the hard parts in the transmission. This does not seem to be a problem with the Audi trans since the software "backs off" to shift. So It would seem that the only real problem is preserving clutches by upgrading them and keeping the temps down.

I have been looking for a trans to tear apart and test, but can't seem to find one for a reasonable price just to play with.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:09 PM

Default You can run your k04's for now without upgrading the tranny. As I am doing right now.

Just don't upgrade your fueling

Im at stage 3- and its been running great for about 13 thousand miles. BUT i eventually want to go full stage 3 sooo...Tranny eventually needs to be upgraded for me. Please keep up posted on what you are doing with your tranny. TIA
Old 05-06-2005, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

6spd swap for me.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:03 PM

Default I must stress there is nothing wrong with the L10 tranny itself all of the problems have been due...

to install errors not the actuall tranny work done by L10 AFAIK
Old 05-06-2005, 11:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Agreed - The One mistake L10 made in early upgrades seems to have corrected

a few of us with the earlier upgrade had pump shaft bushing problems. Sam corrected that for me (and paid for the part and service work).

But almost all of the problems have been install errors.
- Not priming the TC with ATF before inserting
- Not priming the TC shaft with grease
- Incorrect TC install depth
- Cutting sensor wires, or damaging other nearby tranny-external components

And the real irony is that all these errors are avoidable and the procedures for avoiding them are <B>clearly</B> described in Bentley Manuals.

If it hadn't been for installer error (DSR of San Jose, not me) I would have been happily driving my L10 Tip last year.

Quick Reply: are there any alternatives/choices to do tip tranny upgrade besides L10 (and manual tranny swap :P)?