S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Is there any benifit to an expensive exhaust (or any at all) over the new electric cut-outs?...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 12:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there any benifit to an expensive exhaust (or any at all) over the new electric cut-outs?...

It would seem that these are superior to almost any exhaust because they eliminate mufflers, cats, and any backpressure, but when closed should pass any inspection or emmisions test (because it is in essence a closed, stock exhaust). They could be opened for performance and sound and closed for a more mild driving experience. Is there something I am missing? At a couple hundred less than most exhaust systems they seem supirior in any way. Im not trying to make crazy claims, just trying to fiqgure out if this set-up is too good to be true. If you want an aftermarket exhaust for aesthetic reasons, please disregard entire post.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Which are the new cutouts you are talking about? I think the only benefit is sometimes you want to

open her up, but you don't want to make the massive amount of noise you make when you open the cutouts..so an aftermarket exhaust helps because it'll increase your performance, without you sounding like a lawn mower in a tunnel.

I have the DMH's installed, and the car is loud as hell with them open..Day to day, I don't actually ever open them that much because they are so noisy, and police abound.

At night though sometimes, for fun, I open them up, and its a night and day difference how fast the car is.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Weight, Better Flow, Sound. Borla is $700 delivered. Not that expensive.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I had Midas bend me a custom 2 1/2 exhaust. I always hated it b/c it was too quiet. I plan to instal

the electronic dumps come spring. I actually like the idea now of my car being quiet now.

I am going to be sure to hide the switch that opens them up. I am doing that incase I get pulled over for loud exhaust and I already closed them. I don't want the cop seeing the switch. Then when he comes up to the car I can rev the hell out of it and it will be quiet. lol "Must have been that other car, This is a luxary sedan sir" =)
Old 01-12-2009, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Are you going to track? Some tracks do not allow for sounds regulations to have dumps
Old 01-12-2009, 05:53 AM
DxC
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SSAC is like $200ish? good fit and finish too. nicely copied AWE design ... support the chinese!
Old 01-12-2009, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

how loud is ssac?
Old 01-12-2009, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default the sound is similar to that of a Twin 2... It has a muffler right behind the tips, just like AWE...

I have the Twin One and my buddy has SSAC exhaust, he plans to cut out the rear muffler to make it sound more or less like mine. It's not as loud as mine for sure though. My setup is straight piggies, no main cats, then AWE Twin one... quite noisy.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default They are great...until they get stuck and won't close all the way.

I have read many stories about electric and manual cut-outs getting stuck partly-open. Which of course sucks. All the heat, salt, road debris, etc. attacks the butterfly mechanism and electric motor (if applicable.)
Old 01-12-2009, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

yea they wear out a bit... mine flutters open a small amount to sound like an exhaust leak

Quick Reply: Is there any benifit to an expensive exhaust (or any at all) over the new electric cut-outs?...