S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

are there any issues with spraying my intercoolers with rubbing alcohol instead of distilled h2o?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2001, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not when you're at a stop light. duh.

And when you're moving, there's enough air flowing over them to not need to spray water on them. Besides, don't you need something to cool the water? My buddy's 10 sec. RX-7 has an icechest in the back, but you don't want to fill that up every 5 miles do you?

In theory it works fine, but I'm not gonna go dig the article up for you which was written by someone who tried it and came to the realization that it isn't the "cool set up" some people make it out to be.
Old 07-02-2001, 05:29 PM

Default for $20 Pat, you might wanna try it...

I've been spraying my IC's for two months now in the insane Texas heat and the sprayers work beautifully. Of course, it's a lot more noticeably when spraying from a dead stop and then taking off, but still you can feel the difference at speed. The car is A LOT smoother after a few quick sprays and lag is somewhat reduced.

All that was involved in the setup was disconnecting the hoses that went to the headlight washers and attaching some nozzles onto them. The pump is activated by the foglight switch on the dash in which we piggybacked a wire to the headlight washer pump wire. That's it!

Check out the link below for some testing done by Don Pavlik and his IC sprayer setup. BTW, that was done on a fairly "cool" Texas day.

Rami
Old 07-02-2001, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah, Pat I think you're confused or "mis-rembering", the results

the evaporation is the key

and once you start off from the light ..it brings down the IAT's

and lets that chip advance the timing<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng22.shtml">DonP's intelligent IC spray system/ Autospeed IC kit</a></li></ul>
Old 07-02-2001, 05:54 PM

err yeah, I forgot the link...thanks frank
Old 07-02-2001, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Or this guy could sack up and put a unit on his car, and quit being a water weenie

Or an alcoholic. You guys are playing with the gateway drugs, while I've stepped into the tar heroin of the performance world.

If anyone on this board wants to see whose IAT are the lowest, I think I'm gonna win that one 10 outa 10 times.
Old 07-02-2001, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't need it during the day regardless.

Whenever I need haul ***, the car is already cool enough for me to not need any kind of sprayer, er... I mean water injection in particular.
Old 07-02-2001, 07:49 PM

Default nobody's trying to compare IAT's of IC water spraying to nitrous oxide

except you

What's the purpose of calling him a water weenie? Don is one of the most respected members on this board and perhaps he doesn't give a damn about NO2.

"You guys are playing with the gateway drugs, while I've stepped into the tar heroin of the performance world. If anyone on this board wants to see whose IAT are the lowest, I think I'm gonna win that one 10 outa 10 times."

...well that's all well and good, but nobody asked nor do they care.

I admire what you do out on the straightaways but that response was a bit lame.

Rami
Old 07-02-2001, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default haha. I didn't mean to hurt his ego.

However, street racing is secondary to my first love of road racing. I've played around with alcohol injection on GN's before, but I don't see any gain possible nor worth the hassle on our street cars with either water or alcohol injection. For the AW record, I don't have a unit on my car.

And it's N2O not NO2 (just to clarify).

Pat L.
Old 07-02-2001, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

he's spraying the IC's, not injecting and HE DID install it
Old 07-02-2001, 10:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Are you sure we're talking about the same thing?

I'm talking about spraying distilled water on the front of my intercoolers to cool them off.

I'm not talking about injecting anything anywhere. This is not a NOS system, no water or alcohol is entering the engine.

And when I asked about alcohol, I was refering to spraying alcohol instead of water on my intercoolers (in curiousity that it might have a better cooling effect than just plain water).

Me, Don P., Loanshark, and Frank are all talking about purely external intercooler spraying (just like the article reads).

And I don't think anyone doubts your 1/4 mile skills, just settle down champ and stop being such a NOS weenie please.

Quick Reply: are there any issues with spraying my intercoolers with rubbing alcohol instead of distilled h2o?