S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

thinking of selling my car, what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking of selling my car, what would you do?

so im thinking of selling my 00, stg 2 s4. im thinking i should do it soon, i have 70,000 miles and it seems once they hit 80 they seem to go down in value very quickly.
ive had it for 3 years and i love it, but it just seems like its too mature for me. im younger, and i am not the most caring person with my cars, i feel so guilty when i dont totally take care of it, though i do believe that using your car to its full extent is better than babying it. and i think this car is made for someone who is willing to take alot of time and spend alot of time taking care of it and getting it serviced frequently. and there really are just too many problems that come up and they are so expensive to fix.
anyway id either sell it very soon and get something else. or id keep it for a long time and eventually go stg3 and everything.
keep in mind that i am in the mountains all the time where there is constantly snow on the ground, rough roads, and in the summer there are dirt roads everywhere to have fun on. and you need to be ok with your car getting some dents and scrapes.
and i also race shifter karts in the summer, so i really like having a rough, sporty ride, cause most cars feel like complete boats compared to a kart, and im used to it.
my ideas for new cars are...
legacy 2.5 gt. cause its very similar to the s4 in performance, size, looks, and its still pretty nice.
mitsubishi evo, cause its very sporty, cheap to upgrade, and i dont think id really care about it getting bumps and bruises.
s60r, also very similar to an s4, but it seems like there is less for performance mods.
saab 92x aero aka, wrx wagon. cause its pretty nice, lots of storage room, and all around great snow car.
or anything else you could reccomend.

so id really appreciate some help, i get really indecisive with things like this, so i really need some advice.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default How about an outback XT? Not quite as sporty a the legacy but might fit your...

lifestyle (mountains, dirt, etc.) 250 HP stock, cheap parts, and not too bad on the upgrades I think.

I have an 07 NA motor and, while gutless, it is a great daily driver, ski vehicle, kid hauler, etc.

BTW_ What shifter classes do you run? 125? Moto? ICC? Sprint or Road race?
Old 12-31-2007, 12:56 AM

Default yeah ive driven an xt before.....

it was nice and pretty fast, but it was wayyyy too boaty feeling, i love how much ground clearance it has though, mabye suspension could help the body roll atleast. but id probably go for a legacy gt wagon first, or the 92x aero.
and i actually mostly race tag karts, im doing some 125 racing too to decide on what i like more, 125's are more intense and everything, but tags are more fun and its a much more equal race.
if i can afford it with help from my dad, im hopefully gonna start formula ford racing, or atleast spec racer ford cause we already own one. it get very expensive though compared to karts.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I wouldn't sell but if you must.........

I would surely go with the Evo. I myself am pretty young I am only 18 years old. I am the type of person who actually baby's the car. I am always washing it and always maintaining it. I have a 2000 S4 tip with 73K and yeah it has it problems that get on my nerves but i always try to take care of it. If you really do plan on selling it though i would get the Mitsubishi Evolution. Someone i know has one and they say that its a fun car...but that its too stiff and its really not an everyday driver, especially on bumpy roads.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:48 AM

Default EVO sounds the most interesting from your list.

Mazdaspeed6 could be a good awd "beater" choice as well. The new DISI 2.3 turbo engine is an interesting piece. Though the aftermarket is a bit weak and has yet to crack the ecu. Intakes and full exhausts are getting this thing into the 300's on the stock turbo. When (if ever) Cobb finishes their AP for this engine it should be very interesting. Not EVO or STi level of performance though, the platform is just not that great. If you don't mind FWD the Mazdaspeed3 is a lot of fun and mildly modded can run with stock EVO's and STi's for a lot less money.

Thought I would throw that out there because I never considered mazda until someone pointed out these two models to me. I was looking at a GTI, Civic SI sedan, '08 WRX. I picked up a Mazdaspeed3 because it was surprisingly quick and handles surprisingly well. I'd have to spend a fortune on my S4 for it to keep up with the mazda at the track.

The only reason I could see for not keeping the Audi is that it can get pricey to keep running. I don't see a reason not to beat on it though - it's not THAT special. It is not collectible, will not gain value nor maintain value. Beat it.
I'm keeping my S4 stock + suspension so it's still fun and I can get my AWD jollies.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mazdaspeed3 is def a great choice. So much bang for your buck.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes they are floaty for sure. I know that coilovers exist but it will always be a little floaty...

I think given the almost 9" of ground clearance. I guess I don't mind so much because I have the S4 in the garage. I actually stayed away from the XT because I didn't need another turbo car to mess with- the last thing I need is a stg 3 S4 and a stage whatever subaru.

I think the legacy also has more modding options than outback.

Yea- TAG is a good class. Seems like certain motors are better on sprint vs. road race though which is sort of a bummer for those who go back and fourth.

Fords are a great class, but like you said they can get really expensive. I have some friends who are professional drivers now (raced karts as kids) and most of them had wealthy fathers. I was with a guy at VIR a few weeks ago who runs a Porsche GT3 cup car team and just the tire budget for weekend was scary.

Good luck
Old 12-31-2007, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i would love an S60 R wagon..

that's always at the top of my list..
Old 12-31-2007, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Skip Mazdaspeed3...

Go test drive one before spending any more thought on it. I got a ride in one recently and am not at all impressed. It feels so cheap.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default fyi all subaru wagons are now outbacks and legacy is only sedans...

specB is super nice for $35k or 3.0R if want to avoid turbo.. and yes on teh floatly part fo the outbacks, but alot has to do with soft sway bars and suspension. Common upgrade is rallitek or JDM legacy gt rsb helps curb the wandering rearendl You can go suspension route if you don't mind loosing ride height especially on Outbacks.

Quick Reply: thinking of selling my car, what would you do?