S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

For those having trouble getting tranny into 1st gear while slowing down:

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 06:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default For those having trouble getting tranny into 1st gear while slowing down:

I missed the thread on this from yesterday, but instead of double clutching at low speeds, why not just do what I do - with the clutch engaged (pedal in the up position) and engine at idle speed; the tranny is rev-matched at approximately 4 mph. When I am slowing down for a stop sign or going over speed bumps (when you don't want to come to a complete stop), just keep your feet off throttle and clutch and slip the tranny into 1st at just under the 5 mph tick on the speedo. You have to be gentle and precise, but it will go in without any grinding or other excessive wear if you do it quickly but gently.

Think of the gearshift **** as a fresh egg - never put more pressure on the **** than a fresh egg could withstand without breaking and you'll be OK (or you could use the "tender breast" analogy, but I'm trying not to offend the female S4 pilots here...). This has worked fine for me, but as always you are responsible for your own tranny - if you don't feel comfortable shifting without the clutch; don't do it. I feel this saves some wear on the throwout bearing and shifting into 1st this way seems to have less resistance than even using the clutch to go into first at low speeds. [At higher speeds, I don't think you should be going into 1st - I know that the boost will fall if you lug the engine, but I'm not usually street racing so I don't worry about it.]

Give it to me if you think I'm full of sh*t...
Old 09-05-2003, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sounds good to me

I like the fresh egg analogy. I think it was Ben Hogan who said to grip a golf club as if you were holding a live bird...firm but not tight.
Old 09-05-2003, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Are those CH's in your sig?
Old 09-05-2003, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

thats what I do but for geting into first over 5mph double clutching is a must
Old 09-05-2003, 07:13 AM
Maestro

Default it's really much more simple than that

there is absolutely no reason to engage first gear while slowing down.
Old 09-05-2003, 07:14 AM

Default ...from the Essentials of Golf ? (or whatever that rather slim volume is - one of my favorite books

on golf! I think it was NASA (Pete) who said he always shifts with his fingertips for feel and to insure you don't force the linkage - another good piece of advice!
Old 09-05-2003, 07:19 AM

Default Agreed, but at stop signs I never come to a complete stop unless there is opposing traffic...bad

habit, I know. Also, I'm not talking about using the tranny to aid in slowing down; this is a way to avoid trouble getting in gear for acceleration after the slow-down!
Old 09-05-2003, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default bbbzzzzzzttt - wrong answer

Try living somewhere where there are these things called "hills." 2nd gear is too tall for these when there is traffic, and you don't approach them when you're already in first.
Old 09-05-2003, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default What about when you come to a redlight that turns green before you can stop?

But at that point you've slowed down too much for 2nd? I guess the proper procedure is to come to a complete stop on a green light, shift into first, and then go?
Old 09-05-2003, 07:38 AM
Maestro

Default check your connection - there's a buzz somewhere

2nd gear in S4 is not too tall and can get you going uphill from anywhere near 2-3 mph

Quick Reply: For those having trouble getting tranny into 1st gear while slowing down: