S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

To those with LaBree DP's...did you get the cats also with your setup...are they

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To those with LaBree DP's...did you get the cats also with your setup...are they

any better than the stockers? I know, I know...a lot of you will say, piggie it. That's still an option, but keeping options open, so I would like to know how many people got the LaBree cats with their DP's. Thanks
Old 06-06-2004, 04:09 PM

Default I already had a Borla exhaust, so I got the LaBree DP's with Cats, plus the Y Pipe...

for the Borla. All I can say is that I love the setup. The LaBree DP's sit a little low (see picture post) which may bug some people, but to me it's not that big a deal, at least not yet. You will need to drive very slowly over speed bumps if your car is lowered. I believe mine is 25 in the front and 25 1/4 in the rear on 18" wheels. I did drive in one Stage III- car with Piggie Pipes and it was very fast, but I can't compare it to mine because I'm only Stage II+. Word on the street is, if you've got the cash for LaBree's then go for it, otherwise Piggy Pipes are a great cheaper alternative. However, many people say that Piggy Pipes are great up to Stage II+, but if you plan to go Stage III than go with a good aftermarket DP such as the LaBree's. I'm sure others will disagree, as some believe (the Piggy camp) that they work real well on Stage III cars too. Well, maybe they do, but I'm not the one to ask cause I just don't know.
Old 06-06-2004, 04:40 PM

Default I noticed you have a Autospeed DTS...do the DP's hit that at all? Also...

I tried looking on Tantrumwerks website and thought I saw it...but if you go with the cats are they bigger inlet/outlet than stock? Can't remember...and since I'm running the ABT Exhaust, and will probably have to get a Milltek center resonator and custom it the rest of the way. How loud is your Borla exhaust?
Old 06-06-2004, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Agree 100%
Old 06-06-2004, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you already have an exhaust... go with AutoSpeed 3" DP's

They will work great with KO4's when you get there, they flow more air than most anything out there, sound great, fit under the stabilizer bar, and mate to stock exhaust or any exhaust that mates to stock DP's. Plus you will save enough money to keep modding.

There are other great DP's out there. I am just VERY happy with my ASP DP's, and I also sell them...

As to piggie pipes, if the labor is free the best bang for the buck. But if you are paying $500 to get DP's installed - do it right from the start.<ul><li><a href="http://www.startupracing.com/B5ProductsExhaust.htm">Exhaust</a></li></ul>
Old 06-06-2004, 07:56 PM

Default The inlet/outlet of our cats is 2.5"

They are flanged so that they can be removed from the system to install testpipes. If you are looking for a custom option, just buy the DPs only &amp; build the rest of the system. If you have to take emissions tests, then get cats &amp; build from there. I'll check with LaBree to see if we can just get you some flanges for your connector pipes if you're dead set on going custom. Contact us if you have any questions.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:30 PM

Default Look at my picture poster, I specifically posted those clearance pics...

so everyone on AW could see A) How well the Autospeed DTS fits with the LaBree DP's (so no, there's plenty of room and the DP's don't hit), and B) How low the LaBree's sit, because that may be an issue for some people. Otherwise the LaBree's seem to make lots of power.

You'd have to talk to Daryl at Tantrum about the cats and how they will work with your exhaust, but the Borla is the perfect exhaust for the LaBree DP's and the one I think most people would recommend. As for loudness, without the DP's the Borla was a nice volume with a deep, rich tone. With the DP's it's a bit louder and even deeper sounding. You could say that it turns a lot of heads. My car is dynamatted so from the inside of the cab with the windows up the exhaust isn't too noticable, especially with the stereo on. Not sure if it would be much louder without the dynamat because I had the dynamat before the DP's. For me it's a perfect setup because when I want to really hear the car I leave the stereo off and it sounds f*ing mean. If I don't want to hear it I crank the stereo and then I don't hear it at all, and even with the stereo at moderate levels I hardly notice the exhaust, but once again I'm dynamatted.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:37 PM

Default Here I would say talk to someone who's not selling you the product...

I'm sure the Autospeed DP's are great, as are the LaBree's, but I would talk to lots of people about them first before making any decisions. One thing I can say is that Mark at Autospeed Performance REALLY came through for me and I am extremely happy with the DTS. Just remember that if your car is lowered the DTS (and probably the cats too) will hit from time to time and get scratched up.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:25 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Yes I do think Mark is a good guy as well and we have heard nothing but .

good from people who have had work done there, that speaks volumes.

I already scrape my exhaust clamps!