S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Those with seat warmers...do you notice the steering wheel heaters working? I don't feel any diff.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-1999, 08:23 AM
RVW

Those with seat warmers...do you notice the steering wheel heaters working? I don't feel any diff.
Old 11-10-1999, 08:43 AM
Andy Hedin

Default Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the S4 does....

...not have a heated steering wheel. Here's the spec pulled from the Model Guide:

<i>COLD WEATHER PACKAGE
*Heated front seats
*Expandable ski/storage sack</i>
Old 11-10-1999, 08:56 AM
Scott W

You are correct. No steering wheel heater.
Old 11-10-1999, 09:30 AM
loreon

lol! That would explain the "not feeling any diff" problem!
Old 11-10-1999, 10:52 AM
Phil S

Default Re: Heated wheel was an option, but was dropped due to customer complaints...

Customers felt it was too warm, so audi left it out of the 2000 pkg's, but most likely did not have time to change the owners manual, and thats why there is still a reference to it.
Old 11-10-1999, 01:11 PM
RVW

Default For those that read, the manual says that the steering wheel heats up with the seat heaters are used

I guess if you don't have an S4 or haven't read the manual, you wouldn't realize that the S4 has this feature. I actually read it and this is why I asked this question. It would be nice if people did their research before spouting out half researched information. By the way, Phil, thanks for that info. I'm waiting for Audi to call me back on it. They are researching why the steering wheel heaters are not working as well.
Old 11-10-1999, 01:36 PM
mm

Default We know that the manual describes the operation of the heated steering wheel, however, I believe...

...the point here is that Audi does not currently equip the S4 (or, I believe, any of it's current production models) with a heated steering wheel.

I think we all know that the manual says the S4 has a heated steering wheel, and that the manual describes how it was intended to function and operate. But unless I am seriously mistaken, the references in the manual to a heated steering wheel do not reflect the equipment in the S4, at least in the US. Which is perhaps the more pertinent point.

My understanding is that Audi discontinued this feature because it did not function well and/or was not well received in the manner in which it was executed. The general consensus on this forum has been that S4s DO NOT ACTUALLY HAVE THIS FEATURE. It is not working well in your car BECAUSE IT DOES NOT EXIST. Audi may or may not redesign this feature for future cars and production, but my understanding is that currently this feature is not available, and that all references to it in the manual are thus erroneous.

If someone else knows different/better, feel free to correct me...
Old 11-10-1999, 01:38 PM
waiting for Audi to finish their "research"

I did my research, bought an S4 and read the manual. My post still stands and don't hold your breath
Old 11-10-1999, 02:22 PM
KING OF ALL S4's

Default CUT THE ATTITUDE DUDE!

If you want help, then don't snap at people who know more than you. The 2000 S4 that is currently shipped doesn't have a heated steering wheel! It also doesn't have ESP, and that is in the manual as well. I bet you spent hours trying to figure that one out! What clown at Audi did you allegedly talk to? Any service manager or half competent sales person could have told you that the car doesn't come with heated steering wheels!
Old 11-10-1999, 02:30 PM
William

Default Heated steering wheel is described in the manual but it is not installed . . .

because they(Audi) are in the process of redesigning it to make it more efficient.

Thus, your car normally would have the heated steering wheel. They did not reprint the manuals (at least up to the edition supplied to you) because the feature is supposed to reappear when redesigned.

The heated steering wheel could quite literally show up at any time without notice on the 2000 models being delivered. My guess is 2000.5 or 2001 (a space odyssey).

Quick Reply: Those with seat warmers...do you notice the steering wheel heaters working? I don't feel any diff.