S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Thoughts after returning from Germany

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-1999, 06:31 PM
Sandy

Default Thoughts after returning from Germany

I've just returned from a short business trip to Berlin. I thought I'd get to see a bunch of Audi's in there "natural element." A couple of things struck me (not literally):

First and formost: Very few Audi's around. Lot's of LOTS OF MERCS, bunch of Bimmers, many Opels, some VWs, and a rare Audi. Didn't catch site of any S4/RS4 models at all.

Also of interests: lots of Mercedes and BMW ads (billboards, newspapers, popular mags). NO Audi ads of any sort. Even the rental car companies use BMW and Mercedes in their ads. One that's all over the airport is for Sixt rental car (the biggest car renter in Germany) and shows a happy driver captioned "Spider", next to him a happy wind-swept driver labeled "Z3", and then next to him a happy driver with G-force billowing cheeks labeled "SLK" and a punch line that says something like choose your pleasure.

Maybe Audi is at the limit of their production capabilities and therefore does need to market itself. Not!

Sandy
Old 10-06-1999, 06:33 PM
Sandy

Sorry for all the typos, I just arrived back home and I'm lagged
Old 10-06-1999, 06:52 PM
Sandy

Oh, BTW, I'm in Seattle for the next 4 days in case anyone wants to show off their S4 to me!
Old 10-06-1999, 08:39 PM
rickp

Default Audi's are seen as more upscale in Germany...........

On the other hand, marques like Mercedes are a dime a dozen. Mercedes sell many stripped down cars in Germany. They're often significantly cheaper than a comparable Audi. Mercedes are like Honda Accords here in the states. It's the reason that most of the taxi cars in Germany are Mercedes. Can you see an Audi being a taxi cab? It's not much of a compliment! (grins)

Rick
Old 10-07-1999, 05:04 AM
go

Default Plenty of Audis in Italy

i go to italy every summer and have seen tons of Audis. it is the second most popular car there after VW.

this past summer i saw 3 TT's in one day. even in remote sardegna.

go
Old 10-07-1999, 06:28 AM
Stephen Jackson

Default Yes there are Audi cabs

I don't mean to disappoint you, but when I was in Munich 18 months ago, I saw A6 taxicabs!
Old 10-07-1999, 06:37 AM
Scot McKay

Many Audis in Switzerland and GB also
Old 10-07-1999, 06:37 AM
Andy

Default Audi is only number 14 in Italy; behind VW (3) and Mercedes (9). Link inside

<ul><li><a href="http://www.interautonews.it/italia_tabella2.html">http://www.interautonews.it/italia_tabella2.html</a</li></ul>
Old 10-07-1999, 07:58 AM
disappointment! Scott W

In Holland & Israel, all of the taxis are Mercedes Benz, it speaks of reliability & longevity not
Old 10-07-1999, 11:41 AM
Sandy

I did see one Audi taxi in Berlin

Quick Reply: Thoughts after returning from Germany