S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Thoughts on this...Simple TBB test

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2000, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on this...Simple TBB test

I'd like to check my TBB for any leaks, problem is the feeling around test is worthless and taking if off seems like such a hassel, esp if it does leak and I have to reassemble the whole thing to drive to the dealer get the part go home blah blah blah. Anyway it occured to me that perhaps the old gas( as in natural gas) line check would work here. If I take some water mixed with dish detergent and brush it along the clamps and connection points, start the car give it some gas and check for bubbles, it should detect any air leaks. The problem is can anyone think of any adverse effects the solution would have on the TBB or any other parts...

Regards,
Chris
Old 08-16-2000, 05:30 AM

Default good idea, I wonder how bad it is to get detergent inside the tbb

<p>'01 Silver/Onyx ... everything but the phone and sport
Old 08-16-2000, 05:55 AM

Default there is a way to test for leaks......

you will need some special pieces, but here you go:
pull the intake hose from the airbox to the intake track on top of the engine. you need an adapter that can be sealed around the inlet hose (about 3"s) AND have an attachment to pump pressurized air in. then, with a good sensitive air-pressure guage in-line on pressurized air hose, simply (CAREFULLY) pressurize the intake system, and read the guage for leak-down.
two cautions: 1) you ONLY need 5 to 8lbs of pressure to test. you'l be able to hear leaks, as well as see leak-down on the guage.
2) when you put the car back together and drive it... you will get exhaust oil smoke!! will look REAL scary!! it lasts for a few miles, but IT DOES STOP. the air pressure pushes some oil past seals in the turbos, because the turbos aren't spinning OR making pressure themselves. you're pressurizing the "wrong" side of the turbo, and oil will seep into the "hot" side.
w
Old 08-16-2000, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks for the suggestion but....

I totally agree your way is the right way to test the whole system, not just the boot, but most of us aren't Shade Tree mechanics and lack the equipment. So I hope my simple test will work well enough. Ok now I must thank you, cuz I think I'm gonna go out and buy an air pump.....

Oh yeah again thanks for the clamp help, also I'm picking up A 7/8" clamp saturday to have on hand..
Old 08-16-2000, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Isn't manifold at VACUUM at idle...thus sucking your mix into the intake???

<p>Richard
'00 A6 2.7TQM
Old 08-16-2000, 07:05 AM

Default Re: Thoughts on this...Simple TBB test

You could spray WD-40 in the area and listen for a change in the idle.

Only downside is it's messy and I don't know if WD-40 would foul the O2 sensor or not.<p>donp - '00 S4 Silver/Silver
<a href="http://audizone.com">audizone.com</a>
Old 08-16-2000, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Isn't the Vacuum on the OTHERSide of the Throttle Body, Also...

I'm not sure of the soap part, but turbo engines tend to like a AIR/Fuel/water mixture. That's why some people mount an injector on the intake to spray a little water into the air intake. Notice it's not that much... Anyway worse that happens is the car blows up and then I'll warn you guys not to do it.... Hopefully I'll find VWtools and I can avoid the whole thing.....
Old 08-16-2000, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Try propane or mapp gas from a portable plumbers torch.BUT..

But remember, it may not leak under vacuum because vacuum sometimes closes leaks in rubber.Pressure is the way to go ,but you will need two people because of the drive by wire. Again, I would look for oily deposits around and under the tbb area. That is a telltale sign os a boost leak.
Old 08-16-2000, 07:31 AM

hi don.i was told to keep WD40 away from the TBB. but, that is a good test for vacuum leaks.
Old 08-16-2000, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ok, I'll bite...

If there's vacuum in your intake manifold, and your engine requires air to operate, where's that air coming from? Perhaps through the air filter, past the turbos, through the ICs, through the TBB, past the throttle plate, and into the intake manifold?

I think we all agree that putting something on leaky intakes and observing engine behavior as it gets sucked in is a tried and true test. I'm just not sure I'd want to put soapy water into my $40K+ car's intake. Don't let me stop you though. (As someone else posted, I'm also not sure that the ruptured TBBs leak under vacuum.)

I'm not 100% convinced that VWTool will help. Yes, you can track requested vs actual boost, but I'm not sure a barely leaking TBB will show up clearly....anyone with experience trying this?

Ferris: where are you located? Perhaps someone in your area can help with your need for a VAG-equivalent tool.<p>Richard
'00 A6 2.7TQM

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this...Simple TBB test