S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

This thread about tuning is utterly laughable... Setting the record straight

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 05:22 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This thread about tuning is utterly laughable... Setting the record straight

Hey Guys,

Popped open the laptop this morning and almost wet myself from laughter. I have come to the conclusion that internet forums, although fun at times, are 1000x worse then watching "the view" on ABC.

There is entirely too much speculation delivered as fact and honestly it pains me to read it sometimes.

So regarding our tuning...

First, I am fairly confident how the other tuners modify and prepare code for the VAG vehicles but will keep that out of this thread for arguments sake. I will speak for AutoSpeed and EPL however.

AutoSpeed does it's own tuning inhouse, performed by yours truly.

European Performance Labs aka Tony Chick also does tuning themselves inhouse.

Now without too much techno babble, here is the secret. The Motronic code is compiled hexidecimal code. It consists of routines, algorithms, lookup tables and lastly incorporates adapation channels for a "self-healing" feature.

Anyone with a hex editor can view this code. Problem is understanding it and where the good suff is located, what it means, how it is scaled...etc. Many tuners write their own editors to "view" the code into something more useful and dare I say "In English".

As the old saying goes, there are 100 ways to skin a cat, well it holds true. You can practically replicate the same running car by modifying the code different ways. Some are more efficient, some are just fooling the ECU to achieve a result, you get the idea.

"Most" tuners modify the lookup tables, this is where the requested torque, fueling, ignition advance values are stored. Of course we all start with "base" code written for the K03's from the factory and go from there.

Changing only adaptation channels to tune from stock is absolute nonsense, the reason many homebrewers have luck with the modified K03 code is you have a new and decent scaled base to start from. You are only scaling that further to get your desired results, albeit across the board linear changes and scales. In the end it works, just not optimal power across the entire RPM range.

This type of thing will not work for say GT turbos with entirely different wastegates and spool characteristics, the car will run fine, just not make near the optimized power across the entire rpm range like a custom tune.

As far as ASP and EPL, we work separately but have a deep mutual respect for each others work. We both learned this "black magic" skill the hard way, on our own. We collaborate, bounce ideas off each other and share when we found something new and exciting. We are techno-nerds at heart with a desire to make some powerful cars while keeping them driving like stock.

If anyone has questions please do not hesitate to contact us and I will do my very best to answer your questions.

On an exciting note, ASP will be debuting a new product that will allow flashing via the OBD port and also switching capability for mutiple programs.

If you have any wishlist items please let me know and I will do my best to make this application meets all of our needs.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/2330614.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/2330614.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 04-19-2006, 05:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very good "read", I learn something new everyday. Thanks Mark. &lt;Going to watch The View&gt;
Old 04-19-2006, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thanks Mark

here i thought lemmiwinks could solve all of the worlds problems
Old 04-19-2006, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

mmm, Elisabeth.....
Old 04-19-2006, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Expert

whats teh view about? i dont watch much TV
Old 04-19-2006, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

women and their verginers
Old 04-19-2006, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default So you are saying that $40 eBay piggyback system won't get me 600hp? d@mn.

8-)
Old 04-19-2006, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default it did my taxes this year...

but I got pwned...
Old 04-19-2006, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default mine came out great!

but the wife said i cant give the check to Mark
Old 04-19-2006, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

so you got pwned too...X-(

Quick Reply: This thread about tuning is utterly laughable... Setting the record straight