S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

The threat to go buy an M3 doesn't make sense...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 08:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The threat to go buy an M3 doesn't make sense...

Why do people keep saying they will buy an M3 if the A4 is priced close to the BMW? From a BMW owners standpoint, why don't you believe your brand is worth the price of an M? I am serious, is the Audi a lessor quality vehicle than BMW. I am considering an S4 because I don't want a 2 door inline 6 raw vehicle anymore. Will the Audi dissapoint me?

Has anyone actually driven an M3? These cars are totally different. Why would a few grand make you abandon the requirement of all wheel drive and 4 doors?

I don't get it.
Old 05-30-2003, 08:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

sorry, wrong board. disregard
Old 05-30-2003, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

huh
Old 05-30-2003, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There is an Edit and Delete feature.. Find it, learn it, Use it, Love it!
Old 05-30-2003, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The same reasons you consider an Audi are the same reasons people

here consider BMW M series. Totally different toys.
Old 05-31-2003, 02:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Driven Both.......

Have an '00 S4 and I have driven my buddies '01 M3. (Note he also has a 911 C2 chop top in the garage as well)

Two very different animals. The M3 is just brutally fast. Not Z06 fast but somewhere between an S4 and a Z06.

The question really is why would you buy either car? Or why are you looking at either car in comparison?

The two cars represent a comprimise in their own ways. BMW went for raw performance, and for a while at the risk of a few engine failures to produce one of the most powerful naturually asperated engines in the world. It's rear drive, it handles like a dream its a very trackable car. The car is tuneable, though the engine is already so close to its limits I don't think there is much you can do with it. (versus what you can do with an S4, a toyota supra or a vette)

The M3 is a technical marvel, with its engine, traction systems etc, and you can also get a chop top. It is probably one of the fastest chop tops money can buy, If I was in the market for a convertible and had a bunch of money to spend that would be on my narrow list. The trannie options are the usual 6 speed and SMG. SMG is in a league of its own, and I imagine we'll see more BMW's with that option. It is an excellent vehicle and delivers everything it says it going to deliver. Where the BMW does comprimise is everyday useability and utility. If you have tons of money to blow this is no big deal, u just buy an SUV for when you need to haul things or take more then one person out. Folks who have an extra car can have the M3 and treat it like a toy, or that spare car to use on a nice day. As an everyday driver with a person who has only one option for car I would say its a serious comprimise if you live in an area frequented by constant rain and in the winter, snow.

This is where the S4 comes in. It comprimises less in many ares as opposed to heavy comprimise in a few areas. It's certainly not as fast, though I am sure a few tuners could arrange for some ahem "adjustments" to be made. I don't think the S4 handles as well as the M3. (this is mainly a weight issue) Though I would prefer the controlled chaos allowed by the S4. Controlled in the sense that you would have to do some really crazy stuff to cause an S4 to spin out. I have also done some stuff in the rain that would cause any M3 to doughnut.

The S4 can haul 4 people easier then an M3 so it comprimises that true sports car look to go for something more conservative. Hell you can get an S4 in an avant format. Then you can really haul a bunch of stuff.

It really comes down to what you are looking for. As a daily driver with no other car to turn to I would say the S4 is the better of the two cars. If you have an extra SUV or just an extra car thats on the larger size, then the M3 is perfect.

My friend who has the M3 lives in the south and you still can't count on his area for no snow. Those cars become immobile with more then a 1" of snow on the ground.

He is planning to move up to the SE PA area, and if he does, the M3 is going to go bye bye unless he gets an SUV to supplement that car.

Going to an M3 from an S4 or vice versa is not a threat it's a choice. If you go from an S4 to an M3 you better hope you live away from areas that get snow, or have an extra car.

The new S4 due out in the fall will probably make this a more interesting question.
Old 05-31-2003, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Well said.