S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Throttle cut issue at WOT

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle cut issue at WOT

Not long ago I had a very random problem while on a trip and at WOT or any boost for that matter, the throttle body would close completely resulting in my TBB to pop off. It was like that for about 3 days and couldn't go into boost at all (as little as 2 or 3 psi would cause it to close and the TBB would pop off). I noticed it was relative to my throttle input, because I could get up to 10 or 15 pounds if I was at half throttle or so, but then it would shut again. Checked the DV's, TBB (034 Motorsports), clamps, etc. and everything is fine mechanically.

I drove back home 200 miles in vacuum, checked the codes and nothing unusual showed up other than a MAP sensor fault (large vacuum leak, which I assume is from the TBB coming off). So I cleaned the MAP and MAF sensors and now I can get in to boost but as soon as I go WOT, there is a slight throttle cut before it gets going. And if I roll on the throttle slowly instead of just nailing it, it won't cut. I imagine it's a sensor issue rather than being mechanical but I'm kind of dumb founded as to what it is. I'm not sure if me cleaning the MAP/MAF sensors helped or if the car had cured itself on the way back home somehow.

Here's a video I tried to take of it happening, as soon as I say "WOT" I have my foot hard to the ground and you can notice the throttle cut as the camera abruptly jerks. Sometimes it's a bit more harsh depending on rpm (usually lower).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpbRjQ4qsLk

Thanks guys.