S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Timing belt/chain question...I know that ideally perhaps I should have this replaced around 60k...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt/chain question...I know that ideally perhaps I should have this replaced around 60k...

but at the same time I have an extended warranty, so what I am thinking is this...wait until right before my warranty is up (to 100k) to do this because if for whatever reason it does fail the extended warranty should cover it because it is not supposed to be changed until 120k according to audi ( I think ) Is this horrible logic...I mean I understand the importance and the horrific results that could happen if this stuff goes on me, Do you see my logic, (as flawed as it may be) opinions...just wanted some advice or stupid bantor which most threads inevitably end up producing, but thats half the fun. Thanks
Old 01-30-2004, 02:45 PM
Elder Member

warranty will only replace it if it needs it.......
Old 01-30-2004, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Right, thats what I am saying though...I dont want to spend the money to have it done now

but at 90k I wont have a problem paying to have it done at all. So for now if it does go the extended warranty is my back up (plus I wouldnt have to pay if it did go)
Old 01-30-2004, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default So I guess what I am saying is, if you have an extended warranty, dont do the timing belt until much

later.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I think that's bad logic - mainly because of the headache.....

you'd be dealing with if something did happen.

If you like the car and plan to care for it well, I'd do maintenance on it as I would regardless of warranty issues.

Audi recommends 10,000miles oil change intervals with dino oil during the first 50,000miles - did you do this or not? Most people here did not, even if it meant paying out of pocket, because they wanted to care for their car......

You drive a $40,000 car (well, it used to be) - pony up the $1000 and take care of something that we all know needs to get done.....

Oh, one last wrinkle in your logic - if you have an aftermarket warrantee company you may have a HUGE problem getting something like valve damage covered. If it's AOA, maybe not as much of an issue but if it's not, I'd read very carefully before considering implimenting your plan.

For example, some extended warrantee contracts will pay for only the broken part not resultant damage from failure (I don't think it's right, but that's what some do) - so, you drive down the road, your pistons smash your valves, $5000 later (and weeks without your car) you get it back - your payment from your company - - - $30 for the belt itself. Does not sound like fun to me.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:53 PM
Elder Member

Default except---when timing belt goes--it could cause pistons to meet up with valves--which would be BAD

for your motor!
Old 01-30-2004, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks for the input...I totally care for my car, I just figure that if audi doesnt recommend

doing this until way later and my warranty covers the part and any systems affected by the part that failed. But I see what you are saying...maybe I will do it at 70k.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

yeah that would suck, I understand the implications of the failure just seeing what people thought.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Well, I completely see where you're coming from too.....

I was at 67,000miles (out of warranty) - no extended warranty - thought, "Well, if the belt goes and AOA does not rec. doing it until later, I'd have a great case to fight with them."

Really, seemed not worth my time or headache, especially when you factor in the pain-in-the-*** factor of a possible engine rebuild...

Also, if you're planning to keep the car past the point of timing belt replacement, there really is no reason not to do it early.
Old 01-30-2004, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Good point, dont know how long I am gonna have it yet, that would certainly help knowing

Quick Reply: Timing belt/chain question...I know that ideally perhaps I should have this replaced around 60k...