S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Timing job... need help with TDC

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing job... need help with TDC

Hey guys! I'm doing the timing belt and valve covers and needed a bit of advice. I'm trying to make sure my crank and cams are aligned before i proceed with the next steps. I lined up the crank at TDC, but was unable to install the cam lock bar. After a lot cussing and fiddling, I was able to install the lock bar on the cam (basically installed the lock bar on one cam and turned the crank slowly until it lined up with the other cam) Thing is... the crank marking is a little bit off from the marking on the inner plastic timing cover. I have supplied the pic showing the alignment. I'm wondering if I can proceed to the next steps and correct the alignment when I reinstall everything. Any thoughts would be great. I appreciate everyone reading this post. Thanks
Attached Images  
Old 06-23-2013, 05:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

From my experience (just successfully did a 2.7 timing belt) the cam locking bar will ONLY fit on one way, with the cam "wings" horizontal, once they are horizontal notice that there is a "big" and "little" hole on the wing... The cam locking bar will only fit ONE direction - rotate the crank until the BIG hole is outwards on both sprockets (I think!! I could be backwards, but it only works one way -- make sure you figure out which way it will fit BEFORE removing the T belt, never rotate the crank once the belt is off!!!!)

Hope this helps!

P.S careful not to overtorque the water pump I did 15nm (should be 10 I believe) and broke a bolt in the block, had to drill for over an hour to fix it.. haha
Old 06-24-2013, 12:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I can't even see the mark on your crank pulley. Keep in mind. If you pull the timing belt off at any degree you can still align the belt with the crank again with only little effort. Say the belt broke. Take the crank sprocket and try turning it until you get the notch lined up. DO NOT FORCE IT. If it stops you're hitting the valves. If this is the case then you need to figure out which bank it is. Take your 5/8th wrench and turn each cam both ways until you find the cam with resistance. Once you determine that you can move those valves opposite direction of the resistance. Once you do that try the crank again. Get the crank lined up and then the cams. Keep in mind these valves aren't made of glass but they're not super thick so you still need to be fairly delicate with the process.
Note: if the crank pulley doesn't line up EXACTLY on the dot that's ok. Belts stretch. Get it close, install the cam lock bar and then pull the belt off and line up the crank. Then loosen the cam sprockets and such as normal. The design here is really brilliant...
Old 06-24-2013, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

The timing belt stretches a little. Align the crank mark and Try to install the crank pin. One the crank pin is in you can finesse the clocking bar onto the cam sprockets.

Also make sure your cam bar is straight..this holds the cams when you tension the new belt.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it. I was confused by the crank not lining up with the cams and haven't touched it until I understand what's happened. I'm going to try and get the crank pin in and see where that leaves my cams. Hopefully i'll have some good news. Thanks again!