S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Tip Downshift Technique?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2000, 10:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tip Downshift Technique?

OK, at the risk of incurring the wrath of everyone, I haven't yet RTFM (although I don't expect it to have any relevant info) but I'm curious about downshifting the Tip.

I made a conscious decision to buy the auto and I don't regret it, but one of the things I liked about the Tip (and my Acura manumatic before it) was the ability to get into the fat part of the power band by downshifting. However, I'm not sure exactly what technique to employ. Unless I'm at about 2000 or below (in 5th or 4th, less in 3rd), downshifting causes the car to slow down (jerk) abruptly as the lower gear kicks in and the engine revs up. I don't know if I should gently try to give it the gas as I downshift, hold my foot steady on the accelerator, or what. I'm naturally worried about undue stress on the drivetrain. When I drove manuals this of course could be handled by double-clutching. Is there a proper way to execute a Tip downshift in the range 2-3K rpm?

If the price I pay for having the Tip is not being able to grab the fat part of the torque curve by downshifting above 2000 or so, so be it. But just wanted to ask. Thanks in advance for any words of advice.

=NLK=
Old 08-16-2000, 10:53 AM

Default Timing and gas...

Well with only 2K on mine, I think I have a good grasp of when to downshift and how much gas to give it or not. Im either in the gas 0 and letting the engine drop 300-400 rpms to start slowing down then I downshift and its smooth. When I downshift smooth RPM at 3-4K(never downshift over 4K you'll be at 5-6K in no time and shifting again and losing the time it takes to shift if you want the speed). Or I am about 25-50% gas when I downshift to get the get up and go, but never above 3 1/2K or so for me. I don't get the hard downshifting hardly ever. Maybe once in 30 to 50 times.

Any other comments on that?<p>April 2000 Silver S4 Tip, Conv. pkg., Cold, Bose, P'zeros
Samsung 8500 and V1 as my electronic accessories.
Old 08-16-2000, 11:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Timing and gas...

Yup, you're much better at this than I am .

It's not that it's not smooth, it's just at anywhere over 2K (frankly, I don't ever envision shifting down over 3-3.5K), downshifting with my foot held steady on the gas causes the car to slow abruptly, causing me to think "driveline strain". I was loathe to give it gas AS I DOWNSHIFT for fear it would damage the tranny.

I may just need more practice at it (have only 1500 miles, albeit in two weeks). And maybe what I think is abnormal is perfectly fine. We'll see.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

=NLK=
Old 08-16-2000, 11:28 AM
jhj

Default Re: Tip Downshift Technique?

Two ways to do it.

If you are approaching the corner but not on the brakes yet, hold the throttle open slightly as you initiate the downshift, then as soon as the lower gear engages get off the gas and on the brakes.

If you are already on the brakes, execute the downshift and then blip the throttle gently but quickly about one-half second after you hit the button (or pull the lever), just as you would when double-clutch downshifting a manual. It'll feel strange at first, and you'll have to work on the timing to get it right, but once you do you'll be amazed at the rapid, seamless downshifts you can do with the tip. Plus, it gives you a good excuse to go out and practice. Impress your friends and neighbors!

By the way, I make no apologies for the tiptronic...in real-world conditions I find it superior to the manual in a number of ways.
Old 08-16-2000, 11:37 AM

Default It isn't like your car is going to fall apart ;)

When I downshift on my '89 3-speed automatic I
give a little bit more gas which seems to even
things out.

If a tranny can handle a kickdown, it can handle
a single downshift easy - don't worry

PS. If you're transporting eggs in concrete cages
or highly toxic chemicals you may ignore this
message and continue your smooth shifting
Old 08-16-2000, 11:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Certainly sounds logical. Heel-and-toeing an automatic; cool.

Thanks.

=NLK=
Old 08-16-2000, 02:43 PM

not heel-toe, left foot braking with automatic!left foot braking rulez
Old 08-17-2000, 04:17 AM

If you ever plan (or are obliged) on driving a stick, better not get used to it