S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Tips on driving a manual

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Tips on driving a manual

thanks for the tips. embrassed the hell out of myself and my g/f stalled on a steep hill, like 4 cars behind me! turned on my hazards, haha took me 3 times. got really nervous, practice makes perfect, going to drive around and practice on hills on at night.

I dont want to destroy this clutch like my previous one which the dealer told me had 60% left on clutch when the synchros were being done. In 2 weeks I burnt through my old clutch. Why? Apparently I wasnt engaging the clutch all the way out and giving it alot of gas. This cause the flywheel to spin (I think) and not able to catch. Destroyed in 2 weeks.

Have the rs4 clutch. im paranoid, use to be able to make it on any hill without the e brake. Now i stall. I have to relearn basically. I am so cautious I let the clutch engage without any gas (1st and 2nd) Is this bad in any way?
I just want to bump my confidence back up, where I dont make a fool of myself on hills.
Now when on hills my foot is on brake, and on clutch and it seems like i left my foot of brake and let clutch out (maybe too fast) but i stall, been happening for the past few days. Only drivin the car for few weeks, but I was doing it wrong thus destroying my old clutch.
Definately dont have another $2000 lying around for another clutch, this rs4 is suppose to last 100k or more. like i said practice makes perfect!
Old 04-23-2005, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For hills..

When coming to a stop on a hill, push in the clutch and stop the car with the foot brake. Engage the hand brake enough to keep the car still...let off the foot brake. Now to start again take your right foot and give it a little gas and EASE out the clutch. When you feel the car start to move forward (you are in 1st right?!) release the hand brake at about the same time. This will help you by not letting the car roll backward as you start.

As you start to get more confident in going from the foot brake to the accelerator with your right foot, you'll use the hand brake less and less. Most only use it on really steep hills or when some jackass gets right up on your bumper and you have no room for a slight rollback that is common when not using the hand brake technique.

As you said...keep practicing and don't slip the clutch. All the torque in our cars makes that unnecessary...and expensive.