S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Tiptronic Myth #2: True or False??

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiptronic Myth #2: True or False??

Greetings to all AW members. I am considering buying a B5 S4 but havn't decided whether to go with the Tip or manual.

Now normally I wouldn't consider anything but a manual (especially a 6spd) but I came across a link on Wikipedia.com which contained a section on 'Tiptronic Myths', one of which has me considering a Tip...

http://s4wiki.com/wiki/Tiptronic_myths

"Myth#2 : Tip is Slower than Manual: For a Torque-Brake launch (hold Brake down firmly, rev high, then release brake), the Torque converter actually stores energy while stalled, and transfers it into the Tranny, when the brake is released. This is why automatic cars can have faster 60' times than 6sp (without dumping the clutch at >4K rpm). However since Torque-Brake Launching is disabled on the stock TCU, this is why the official times for Tip are slower. Actual top speed gearing is higher for a Tip tranny than 6sp."

I couldn't find anything in the forums to confirm or deny this specific issue. Does the 'Tip chip' enable the torque brake launching on the TCU? Also does the GIAC performance chip also contains the 'Tip chip' software described elsewhere?

Thanks in advance,
John
Old 03-11-2007, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default not a myth but you would be going throught trannys like it's your job. You can get the same 60' with

a manual. Get a manual and be happy they have much less problems and you will thank me in the long run. What are u looking for?
Old 03-11-2007, 07:15 PM

Default You can brake launch a TIP but it times out after a few seconds and cuts the throttle.

You will destroy the stock TC pretty quickly doing brake stands with it though. Snaps you back in the seat hard and gets a decent launch.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:17 PM

Default Re: not a myth but you would be going throught trannys like it's your job.

I want a 2001.5 unmodified with low miles. Cost is not as important as a clean non abused car (within reason)
Old 03-11-2007, 07:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just get a manual. Tips are acceptable for people with one leg. Otherwise... lame.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:22 PM

Less problems with a 6-speed? How so? There seams to be many more broken 6-speeds then Tips.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

no kidding. Stage 2 and up seem to go thru clutches like crazy.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default keep in mind that Wikipedia.com is not a good source of "FACT" since it is written....

by anyone who feels like contributing. That may have been (deff was) written by a tip user, who knows? I have personally (unlike some who will comment) driven two of both, all stage 2(+) and feel like the 6speed gives me more control and feel. A 6speed will leave any option you like open from draging to roadcourse (i would never autocross in a TIP but some do)

Other then wanting to hold your signifigant others hand while driving, i see no point in driving a TIP unless you have a physical handicap. Some will comment that "more 6-speeds" seem to break then TIP's" but that may be because more 6-speed users modify their cars past the capibility of a stock transmission? Buy what you want but if I was given a TIP I would drive it home and park it, then trade it for a 6. My 2cents, Good luck and don't buy this car if you don't like to wrench.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Expert

an auto faster then a manual? funny..they are consistent, but not faster.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You are correct. The original acceleration tests favor the manual on the lauch.....

because you can slip the clutch. While the tip times were probably done by just pouncing on the gas pedal.

If you go read the archived times here on AW you will see that the tip was slower 0-60 stock, but in the 1/4 mile the gap was narrowed. Meaning the tip was actually catching the 6 speed car!

Quick Reply: Tiptronic Myth #2: True or False??