S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Tire wear question - anyone ever bothered having their tires remounted to even out the wear?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2002, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire wear question - anyone ever bothered having their tires remounted to even out the wear?

For stock suspension S4's that do track time, the outside edge of the tires wears a lot more than the inside - esp for the tires on the front.

Has anyone ever had their tires remounted to flip which side is getting the harder wear? That will also result in needing to switch which side of the car a tire is on to match the rotational direction, but this theoretically could give a little more use out of a given set of tires. I am aware that they will need to be rebalanced in the process.

I had a flat last fall with my regular wheels and my spare turns out to have the wrong rotational direction for where it needs to go if I want to use it full time (and on a track), so I need to have the tire remounted anyway. I was getting ready to swap out my snows for a track day and the thought came to mind as I stared at the wear patterns of the tires I am going to mount tomorrow.

Feedback appreciated - is this just a crazy thought?
Old 02-12-2002, 10:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default anything is possible I suppose. I'm due to have my tires rotated and I have quite a bit of wear as

you described. Don't think I'll do what you mentioned. Although I have thought about it.

i'm gettng quite a bit more wear on the outer edges of my tires that I would have thought. I haven't tracked the car either I guess I just take the hills of San Francisco a bit too aggressively.

20K miles and Pilot sports
Old 02-13-2002, 08:26 AM
RR
AudiWorld Super User

Default I do it. It's absolutely a good idea :-) But, watch out...just noticed that the

inner edge on one of my tires was cording due to all the track edge wear. When I moved that edge inside, it was harder to inspect and I missed it for quite a while.

Sure hope my 245/40-17s fit. Fed ex is bringging them right now.

RR