S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Took pictures today of my new S4...(link)...and first impressions (long)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2000, 07:34 PM
SnickRyder

Default Took pictures today of my new S4...(link)...and first impressions (long)

All,

CraigB and I got together today at Red Rocks here in Colorado. He was nice enough to snap some pictures on my new Cactus Green S4...see the link below. We got a couple of still shots and a couple of action shots. Craig put them out on his web page with thumbnails.....THANKS CRAIG.

Details: 00' S4, Cactus Green/Onyx-Silver, Convenience, Cold Weather. I got it used with 2700 miles on it. I've heard conflicting stories about it's past, but the latest is that it was delivered here in Boulder, CO and then was traded in sometime later for a.....well, a bmw. My dealer then bought it from them. However it got to me...I don't care...it's mine now and I love it.

First impressions: WOW!! The color is so much more then I could have hoped for. The pictures just don't do it justice. The interior is bright and lively and even though I didn't think I wanted the alcantara, I really like how it holds you in the seat....like velcro for jeans.

The car seems to sit more agressively then my Avant, even though it is higher then my Avant. Just for kicks I measured the Avant before I traded it in...then measured the S4 when I got it home. The S4 is consistently 1/2 inch higher then my Avant all around. Measuring points were the center of the front air dam, bottom of the front of all wheel wells, top center of all wheel wells, and center of rear apron. Just found that interesting, but there is MUCH less body roll.

Power is abundent all the way through 6th gear. In fact in the snow on the way to my dads, I could spin all 4 wheels in every gear when the tourbos kicked in. I tried this on a slightly uphill straight with packed snow. I just accelerated moderately until the wheels slipped then shifted and did the same in every gear. There is so much torque, that all wheels broke free easily in each gear...granted a set of snow tires will help, but it just shows how powerful this car is. On the highway going up I-70, 6th gear passes are done without even thinking of downshifting and in the twisties, 4th and 5th gears rule. You know, I really only use 3 gears...1st to get going, 3rd in my neighborhood and in town, and 6th on the open road. It's only driving agressively that I use more then this...there just isn't any need to use more in daily driving.

The ride is crisp and clean. You can instantly tell the car is more taught, but it's not jarring at all. When you get into the twisties the suspension just shines. I do not think I will change the suspension, just get different tires when these wear out.

Future Plans: I think I will chip it, but probably not until after winter...although so far we really haven't had a winter. Right now I am leaning towards the torque heavy Garret Chip....which I think is rated at 300-305 Hp and 340 Tq with chip and filter. I've got a set of audi rings coming for the front doors...similar to what I had on my Avant for those that know it. And, if I can find the right one, I am considering a rear wing, but don't know if I want to disturb the "smoothness" of the lines of the car.

Anyway, check out the pics when you get a chance. Thanks again to CraigB for taking them and making the page. I look forward to many happy miles and experiences in this increadibly awesome car. I'll keep you posted.

Rick
00' S4

PS: I already know what to get for a vanity plate for this car: "DASHULK" (ie, The "Increadible Hulk"). Since it can be so subtle and then so aggresive with the flick of your ankle. :-)<ul><li><a href="http://www.users.uswest.net/~craiger/rs_s4.htm">http://www.users.uswest.net/~craiger/rs_s4.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 01-02-2000, 08:46 PM
Jeff Newton

Default Re: Took pictures today of my new S4...(link)...and first impressions (long)

Those are great pics! May I ask what digital camera was used?

Cheers,

Jeff
Old 01-02-2000, 08:50 PM
Jeff Newton

Great Pics! What digital camera was used to take them? (nt)
Old 01-03-2000, 04:16 AM
Phil G.

Default Cactus is beautiful on the S4...

I really like the leather interiors - would silver leather work well with this color, or would folks go with Onyx? My dealer had a Cactus/onyx car a month ago - I couldn't keep my eyes off it. Enjoy it - it's gorgeous.

Phil G.
Old 01-03-2000, 06:28 AM
SnickRyder

Default CraigB has a Olympus DM-400 I believe. (nt)

nt
Old 01-03-2000, 06:31 AM
Snickryder

Default Personally I'd go with the Onyx, but...

It's all personal preference. I know the Onyx looks awesome, and the onyx/silver is very classic looking, but I think the silver leather would be too light. Just my opinion, I'm sure others would disagree.

Rick
00' S4
Old 01-03-2000, 06:36 AM
Brad - Dallas

Default Wow, every color looks great on the S4!

Audi could paint it baby sh*t brown and it'd still be a beautiful car. Congrats!
Old 01-03-2000, 07:00 AM
Uzanak

Looks pretty awsome Rick!! When is our next meeting?...=P
Old 01-03-2000, 08:15 AM
Hans

Nice looking car Rick! Sorry I didn't get to go up. Craig has an Olympus D-400
Old 01-03-2000, 08:31 AM
George H

I didn't think I'd like the green but it looks great! Congrats.

Quick Reply: Took pictures today of my new S4...(link)...and first impressions (long)